Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I did my timing belt about a year ago and a mechanic buddy (that has since passed away) helped me put it in. I went to get my cr-v smoged and it failed due to the timing being off. I went home to check the timing using a paper clip to short the terminals inside the cab and as im checking it the line is not not constant. It jumps from where its supposed to be (or close to it) to way far off every other revolution or so. Im suspecting the timing belt is not not lined up correctly but it runs fine idles smooth i havent noticed loss of power. It does seem to ping slightly.

do i need to take it all apart again to redo the timing belt?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd start by checking out the cap, rotor, distributor etc. Some foul-ups there could cause that as well. If that doesn't get it I'd re-tension the belt before digging in too deep. I would definitely get a handle on that pinging though!

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start by checking out the cap, rotor, distributor etc. Some foul-ups there could cause that as well. If that doesn't get it I'd re-tension the belt before digging in too deep. I would definitely get a handle on that pinging though!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Im not sure what to look for with the cap and rotor dist. etc that would cause this yet the vehicle still be running fine. any ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd just snoop around and make sure everything looks OK. A worn distributor shaft could also cause problems like you describe. Make sure you mark the dist. location if you pull it. Just to have a baseline.

A loose balancer or rotten rubber on the balancer could do it as well.

Just some ideas. You'd think it would run crappy though :confused:

An old school method for setting timing is to advance until it pings and back off a tad until the pinging stops. Do you have a check engine light? We don't do smog stuff where I don't have any experience with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd just snoop around and make sure everything looks OK. A worn distributor shaft could also cause problems like you describe. Make sure you mark the dist. location if you pull it. Just to have a baseline.

A loose balancer or rotten rubber on the balancer could do it as well.

Just some ideas. You'd think it would run crappy though :confused:

An old school method for setting timing is to advance until it pings and back off a tad until the pinging stops. Do you have a check engine light? We don't do smog stuff where I don't have any experience with it.
No check engine light, Everything looks good with the cap and rotor and stuff, welp going to re-tension the TB and see how that goes...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes initially he said it was at 16* he had his timing gun out and everything he said it needed to be at 17* Then said he can adjust it for me no prob. then he goes into the cab to short the wires needed to do the timing check then goes back with the gun again telling me something is wrong the timing mark is jumping, then hands me smog failed paperwork.

·
Registered
644 Posts
yes initially he said it was at 16* he had his timing gun out and everything he said it needed to be at 17* Then said he can adjust it for me no prob. then he goes into the cab to short the wires needed to do the timing check then goes back with the gun again telling me something is wrong the timing mark is jumping, then hands me smog failed paperwork.
Ignition timing has a tolerance range of +/-2*. According to several posts online, if yours is at 16* it is dead on.

Ignition timing: http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Routine-Maintenance-and-Tune-up/Ignition-Timing/_/P-0900c1528026a3d8
Link2: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/carhelpplus/2008-07-25_194324_binder4.pdf

Can't you just rotate the distributor to get the timing where it needs to be vs. re-adjusting the timing belt?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could it be possible the guy that checked your car was just incompetent?
That's what I was thinking. Sounds like the guy may have been trying to rip you off by suggesting unneeded repairs? I'd retard the timing a bit and go to another shop. Backing off the timing should help the pinging too...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ignition timing has a tolerance range of +/-2*. According to several posts online, if yours is at 16* it is dead on.

Ignition timing: http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Routine-Maintenance-and-Tune-up/Ignition-Timing/_/P-0900c1528026a3d8
Link2: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/carhelpplus/2008-07-25_194324_binder4.pdf

Can't you just rotate the distributor to get the timing where it needs to be vs. re-adjusting the timing belt?
Your TOTALLY RIGHT! On the other hand I do have a problem as that 16* reading is not hitting the mark every revolution. it hits it then its way off then seems to creep back up to it again with every passing revolution.

I dont know about the rotating the dist. to correct for this. im thinking thats a no from what ive read on here.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Your TOTALLY RIGHT! On the other hand I do have a problem as that 16* reading is not hitting the mark every revolution. it hits it then its way off then seems to creep back up to it again with every passing revolution.

I dont know about the rotating the dist. to correct for this. im thinking thats a no from what ive read on here.
This could point to a distributor problem. I had an old Nissan Xterra that had the wandering timing. Used a timing light and adjusted the distributor slightly to bring it back to the correct mark. I have not done this on a CR-V. CR-V may be different, but its distributor bolt slots are oval in shape, normally meant for minor adjustment. There is a ericthecarguy video on adjusting the distributor on an Acrua Integra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzxCCaxDjI

·
Registered
58 Posts

It's fine as long as it's done correctly. I had disassembled the head on my 2000 Civic SiR a while back to do the LMAs and valve seals, and once I had everything back together the car seemed fine - at first. Every once in a while I noticed a very slight hesitation, maybe a few times over the course of a month, always in the same gear at the same RPM. It was so slight that even my other half (a technician) and a friend of mine (also an SiR owner) couldn't pick up on it when driving the vehicle. We suspected the most likely culprit to be the timing, so out came the timing light and, as it turned out, the distributor was off by a hair. I made a very minor adjustment and all was right with it after that. Considering the B16 and the B20 are very similar, I can't see there being an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

20150208_023551.jpg

OK, so I decided to just go ahead and replace my timing belt and as you can see its off. Its been this way for a good 70,000 miles. I turned the crankshaft counter clock wise and lined up the White mark( the one by itself) with the timing cover mark and as you can see in the pic the right cam looks to be off more then the left but both do seem to be off.

I thought it has been running fine since the last timing belt job and didn't notice any loss of power but maybe Im wrong. I always check my valves every 10,000-15,000 miles and keep them on the loose end of the tollerance.

Anybody actually know if this has been killing my performance or not?
Or killing anything else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final update

Just to finish out this thread.... got the timing belt done and lined up correctly. It may have been running ok with beeing one tooth off for as long as it did but man I was missing out on some serious performance.
My cr-v Hauls ass now no more pinging at all and way more torque. And my timing mark is steady and am able to dial it in now no prob. So everybody make sure you match up the tiny lines on the cam sprockets exactly horizontal. I had to actually turn one of my cams back a little squeeze the belt on a little then turn it twards the other cam to get the belt all the way on. Took a couple try's until I did it to where the lines on the cam sprockets lined up.
Have fun Y'all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts