Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I am new to this forum as recently purchased a 2001 Honda CR-V LX. I'm loving the vehicle, but I have had to do some work on the front end and various other details, making it as safe as possible for daily driving.
During my work, I discovered a glaring issue concerning the bolt in the photo attached to this thread. On the passenger side, the bolt was still attached, but hanging down about an inch (Obviously there have been some terrible mechanics performed on this vehicle in the past, but regardless I need to make this vehicle safe). I was able to tighten it back up without issue, but when I checked the drivers side I found the bolt to be missing completely...hence my questions. The only thing that I know about the bolt is that it is important and it has a 19mm head. It appears to secure the lower part of the suspension to the body or some other mounting bracket. I apologize for the bad description, I'm new to this vehicle and am learning my way around everyday.

The bolt I am referring to is marked in the RED square. With a long extension on a 19mm socket, I am able to secure it properly by guiding the socket through a hole in the bottom of the front lower control arm. The hole seems to have been made for this purpose.

Questions:
  1. Is it possible to thread a new bolt into the existing structure? (I'm really hoping this is not a situation where the nut is floating somewhere)
    • UPDATE: YES
  2. What is the length, thread size & pitch? (I would like to purchase a new automotive quality bolt and secure it properly)
  3. What is the torque specification for this bolt?
    • UPDATE: 28 ft-lbs (I believe)

I really appreciate any help and look forward to any response that can help me fix this. It's a mystery to me why this bolt would have been removed or (unlikely) loosened over time, but there is no looking back only forward!

EDIT:
I have been doing some research, and the bolt appears to belong to the front end cradle/stiffener. From the diagram in the following link, I believe it to be part #4. (OEM PART #: 90162-S04-000)

Source: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2001-honda-cr-v-5dr_lx_4wd-ka-5mt/rear-beam.html?PNC=1

Can anyone please confirm that this is the correct bolt?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone who looks at this post in the future (which I doubt), all part numbers and torque specs are correct.

Topic closed

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Depending on where OP lives, I would run a tap up into that hole if possible to clear out the threads--if the bolt has been gone for a while, those threads will be rusty and tight. I ran into this problem on my '97 after my propeller shaft had been removed for a couple of years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depending on where OP lives, I would run a tap up into that hole if possible to clear out the threads--if the bolt has been gone for a while, those threads will be rusty and tight. I ran into this problem on my '97 after my propeller shaft had been removed for a couple of years.
Thanks for the response. I got the vehicle second hand, but it does have a new driveshaft (propeller shaft) on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had similar circumstances. Luckily, the new bolt went in without issue and I torqued to spec from shop manual. My only real concern now is...what else did they forget to do? I've tried checking as many bolts and fasteners as possible, but some I'm sure I either don't know about or are hidden. Definitely going to replace the rear differential fluid in the next week.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My only real concern now is...what else did they forget to do?
Tell me about it! I just went through this on my kiddo's 2002 Accord. The gas tank has been leaking fumes out the top due to rust. Was going to replace it last week (finally, after months), only to find out that the previous owner had the exhaust "fixed" by having the rusted flanges removed and everything welded together. Even the catalytic converter. The only flange remaining was on one of the two rear mufflers. The only way to drop it to remove the sub-frame and get to the tank would be to either cut it somewhere and have it patched (if it's even possible, due to corrosion), or fish around in the tight engine bay (it's a V6) and undo the Y-pipe from the two exhaust manifolds, where the bolts are so rusted that they would probably need to be cut off.

And come to find out, the top of the front rear beam (basically, the rear section of subframe) is rusting through, a very common problem. So basically, I'm car shopping...and we're spending a little more this time.

At least my '97 CR-V was purchased new, so I was the only idiot that ever worked on it. ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts