Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Rear U Joint is bad, so I took driveshaft out. Took it to a Drivetrain Specialty shop to replace the non serviceable ujoint with the ujoints with inner c clips.
I was told Nope, not doing it. I wasnt going to argue with the guy as he said he quit doing those types of replacements as the u joints were poorly designed and weak.
He called another local shop, same thing. Not doing it.. I am not sure the problem, or if he is knowledgeable enough, but he has been doing it for 45 years.
Anyways, what u joint is available for replacement on this driveshaft. Or, where can I get a complete driveshaft thats of good quality.
Thnx

·
Registered
36 Posts
Back in 2015 I purchased a drive shaft for my 98 CR-V from Rock Auto. I purchased a Dorman brand and had it shipped to my door overnight for something like $350 (it's cheaper now!). It worked fine until the car was scrapped in 2018. I just checked Rock Auto now and they don't list the Dorman brand for a 2001, but guessing one of the brands they offer will do the job.

Oddly enough, that Dorman drive shaft doesn't show up if you work through their "search tree" method. If you search for part 936003 the Dorman part will show up in the search results. NOTE: the 98 and 01 CR-V's use the same rear drive shaft. Hmm... maybe I should have saved it for use in my 01...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back in 2015 I purchased a drive shaft for my 98 CR-V from Rock Auto. I purchased a Dorman brand and had it shipped to my door overnight for something like $350 (it's cheaper now!). It worked fine until the car was scrapped in 2018. I just checked Rock Auto now and they don't list the Dorman brand for a 2001, but guessing one of the brands they offer will do the job.

Oddly enough, that Dorman drive shaft doesn't show up if you work through their "search tree" method. If you search for part 936003 the Dorman part will show up in the search results. NOTE: the 98 and 01 CR-V's use the same rear drive shaft. Hmm... maybe I should have saved it for use in my 01...

Hope this helps!
It shows up as Ultra Power and SKP on rock auto. Thnx. I might as well get one and see if it works.., cant hurt.

·
Registered
190 Posts
save your money and time (if you bare talking about the propellor shaft). the car will drive fine without it. invest in excellent tires instead and get great traction year round for 60k miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and put a dorman part numbered one in there. I know we can drive without it. But, I do go up in the mountains sometimes, and very rarely encounter snow, but it does help in wet conditions.
Drives great, and for 145 bucks, I can live with it..

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Rockford Driveline several years ago used to sell the replacement needle bearings and caps for the U-joints, but they no longer sell those. The originals were a press fit into the yokes, if I recall. I opted to get a Dorman replacement as a warehouse deal from Amazon--it works perfectly.

Oddly enough, that Dorman drive shaft doesn't show up if you work through their "search tree" method. If you search for part 936003 the Dorman part will show up in the search results.
That does happen very rarely--I had to do that for a part I purchased this summer. I believe it was a suspension part I was looking for. I am pretty sure I saw it on another site first. Then, I went to the manufacturer's site and found the part number, then searched for it on Rock Auto. I found it. But it wasn't tied to a vehicle.

My guess is that they get these part numbers through some sort of database file (EDI, electronic data interchange) from the manufacturer and import it that way, which would result in an "empty" data set if the manufacturer had a blank entry in there somehow. (There are too many vehicles and parts for them to enter all of these by hand. The companies I worked with in industrial distribution entered items and especially pricing updates via EDI.)

I never did follow up on it, but I would guess there is an email address we can send these errors to and they would manually correct them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts