Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 CR-V, and whenever I have a device charging and plaything through the AUX input on my radio, there is noise. From what I have gathered, it's commonly referred to as engine noise.
It's like static, and if I press the gas, it gets louder and there is a high pitched whine that accompanies this.
If I disconnect from charging, the noise goes away.
What would be an easy fix for this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, however my concern is that there are reports of it degrading the quality, lowering the volume, or simply eliminating the bass.
I tend to look up reviews from multiple places before investing in something, even when it's this low of a cost.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
These are also symptoms common to a bad jack on an AUX cable (or any audio patch cable). I would test the cable in another location to see if it is the cable. It's common enough with the cheapo cables made today that I always carry a spare. All these same things also hold true for charging cables.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that it was the cable, so I got one that was $20 for about 3 feet. Same thing happened. As for the charging cable, I have tried multiple cables and chargers. I actually tested using my regular cable and borrowed a friends battery back. Also tried different devices, multiple phones and a couple iPods. All the phones were different manufactures and models. The only time there was an issue was when the phone was charging from the car and playing audio through the AUX input at the same time.

I think I eliminated everything except the car itself, and I don't really have have the money for a new car, hence coming here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did once, however the bass was cut off and the overall sound quality dropped.
I was hoping there was something else that I could do, but it seems that I might be out of luck.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
There are other possible remedies. First, determine if the static you are hearing is related to engine rpm. In other words, does it change or increase when the engine rpm's increase. If so, then that is ignition noise in the car's electrical system. There are noise filters you can get (mostly intended for CB radio) that connect inline with your power and ground wires to the stereo. There are also crimp-on chokes you can buy to attach to the cables. Adding a separate ground wire from the radio to the chassis could also solve it, as might checking and cleaning all your body grounds. You can Google or look for YouTube videos on this subject as it applies to CB radio and know that it can also be applied to car audio. Heck, even tires can cause the problem. I would start with the simplest things first, like grounding the radio, and checking for loose speaker wires and other connections.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
what are you plugging into the Aux jack? That can make a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts