Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My auto-transmission 2001 CR-V stalled today while driving (the second time in 4weeks); the first time was at a right turn, just as I slowed down to make the turn, engine went off. Today, however, I was driving straight and speed was about 5-20 km/h when it happened- I was just taking off from a stop. Both times the engine started back immediately and I completed my trip with no other stall.

Any ideas what could be the cause of the stalling?

Extra info:

Scanning still revealed no new codes besides the known codes I have, which are P0131 (the downstream O2 sensor is missing) and P0141 (this came up after I replaced the transmission a few months back)

Prior to this though, the car would randomly stall only while driving in reverse- that stopped after I had the injectors serviced/cleaned.
However, the problem is now reversed plus I get very high cold idle speed (about 1800rpm) with terrible mileage and oftentimes, there seems to be a drag changing from 1st gear to 2nd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My previous car, an '04 CRV stalled on me twice as I was coming to a slow stop. I took it into Honda who checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong. I asked the technician what he would do if it were his car. He simple said .... "clean the ERG valve and chamber with break fluid cleaner". After I did that it ran OK for another year then I sold it. I have since read that isopropyl alcohol can also be used to clean the ERG but you need to personally check that out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My previous car, an '04 CRV stalled on me twice as I was coming to a slow stop. I took it into Honda who checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong. I asked the technician what he would do if it were his car. He simple said .... "clean the ERG valve and chamber with break fluid cleaner". After I did that it ran OK for another year then I sold it. I have since read that isopropyl alcohol can also be used to clean the ERG but you need to personally check that out.
Ah..thanks! Doesn't seem like the 1st gen CRVs have the EGR valve though; someone else mentioned a fuel relay starting to fail? Any thoughts on that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts