Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two or three weeks ago I started smelling a burning smell coming from the front of my CRV and when I popped the hood I saw oil on the manifold below the left side of the valve cover but wasn't sure where it was coming from. Upon further investigation it now looks like oil may be coming from the black round (plastic?) cover on the left side of the valves. It doesn't seem to be seated well. I am attaching pictures of the area so someone might validate my finding and to also tell me what the round cover is for and can it be replaced? Is it plastic? I just don't have a clue and don't want to take it in for a valve cover gasket when it might be something simpler. Any help or advice is welcomed.

Mike Kearns
2001 CR-V
114,000 miles

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The cam shaft is behind that black plastic plug. I am not sure if there is actually a hole in the engine block right there or not though. The valve cover gasket itself is pretty easy to get to.

Here is a thread for adjusting the valves that shows lots of pictures inside those areas.
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=37551

When I took my cover off to check the valves I rubbed all the hard glue off the corners with my fingers and then just put it back together with no sealer at all and it hasn't leaked.

·
Registered
71 Posts
my 2000 leaks right there too, I think this is common as it ages. It is a plastic plug to fill the end of the bore for the cam shaft. I took my valve cover off and removed the end cam shaft bearing cap to get this plastic plug out. I put some Permatex sealant on it and reinstalled it but I was not too careful, I reduced the leak but there is still a slight seepage. the bearing cap should be toreque back on to the proper torque value (I have to look it up but it is only like 6 ft-lb).

You likely can get a new plug, but I suspect just sealing it up well with Permatex sealant would do just fine. I am going to try and redo it this weekend I think.

the leak does not really harm any thing, it is just annoying. sometimes it drips on the exhasut pipe and you get a little puff of smoke and engine oil smell. just check your oil level regularly.

If you have the valve cover gasket replaced (or you do it yourself) that would be a good time to remove the rear cam cap and either replace this plug with a new one, or seal it up good with Permatex.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,187 Posts
Another thing that could cause a leak is a malfunctioning PCV valve. Replace or clean yours.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
As CarBuff2 says, check your PCV valve.
A clogged PCV valve can cause an increase of pressure in the crankcase and force oil out of various places.
The valve cover is fairly easy to remove, overall. If you do buy a new valve cover gasket, make sure you replace the spark plug hole grommets also. If you do that, you should also take the time to adjust your valves.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the valves adjusted when I bought the vehicle. It was at 96,000 miles I think and the valve cover gasket was replaced at that time. I will check the PVC valve. Thanks for the responses.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,187 Posts
You know how to check the Honda PCV, right?

Take it off the car. The ball inside should rattle. No rattle = stuck.

Spray with intake cleaner until it rattles. Use compressed air (or blow on it) until it is dry inside. It should STILL rattle...if it stops rattling, there is still goo inside and you have to do it again.

That's why some just replace 'em.

+++++++++++++

PS are you sure the valve cover gasket was replaced? Honda gaskets are VERY hardy. I don't replace mine (as a rule) when adjusting valves. You DO have to re-apply the RTV at the "corners" where the gasket lifts over the camshaft. If that is the point of leakage, removal and re-application of the RTV might be all that is needed.

HTH

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just learned today that NAPA auto parts stores sells these camshaft plugs for $5.97, most stores have it in stock since it is also used on many other models of Honda. This is likely much less cost than the dealer. NAPA usually uses the same parts supplier as the factory, or if not, only uses high quality parts suppliers.

I think using sealant on it would likely stop the leak, but the plastic plug gets stiff and brittle as it ages, so a new one is likely a better way to stop the leak.

NAPA part # ATM LT2909

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced mine several months ago. It has an oring that is the seal, that gets brittle and shrinks and leaks. You can remove it without taking the valve cover off. Just work a thin screw driver under it and pop it out. It has some plastic ears that hold in the head. I still used some sealant on the new one. I think I gave about $7 at the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay , I ran down to Napa and they had it in stock (I'm shocked) .I got the plug and a can of Gunk for Eleven bux. I stopped by the Car wash ,Two more bux,and cleaned the motor on the way home , Popped the hood pried out the old plug with no problem . I put an oil resistant clear sealer around the plug and snapped it in place . Wiped off the excess and parked it . Five minutes tops.I'll let it cure overnight before I drive it . If I don't check back here ,It was a success.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Replaced this part on my 97 this weekend.. pried off the old cap and oil was coming out, put the new plug on and it is so much different from the old plug. The O ring on the old plug was flat so it was not doing much in keeping the oil from coming out the side of the engine. Will wait until the rains stop to clean off the engine to see but should be better, cheap $5 fix from NAPA.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just an update, this was definitely the fix for the oil leaking out the left side of the engine. After putting the NAPA part on and cleaning off the engine, there is no signs of any new leaks since my last post. Amazing what you can learn on a forum.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
This message helped me too. I changed mine this weekend. Haven't had a chance to check on it yet, but I also noticed the flatness and hardness of the old o-ring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts