Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It's my understanding that the B20 engine in the 2001 and earlier CR-Vs is an 'interference' engine, which means it's possible that a broken timing belt could cause a piston to hit a valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely an interference engine. My '99 5spd, which I did the timing belt on today 👍, always seems to run at moderately high rpm, nearly always 2k or higher. At those speeds bent valves are certainly possible if not likely.

In all honesty, if you're even questioning the belt then you're probably overdue a valve adjustment which means you're in it for the valve cover gasket plus valve adjustment time anyway. If we're going that far might as well do the timing belt and water pump while we're in there. My local Honda shop does the whole thing as a single package though my shop would do the same cheaper.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're questioning the belt, change it and the coolant pump.

Adjust the valves every 15,000 miles. Take the exhaust rocker arms out and check them for wear every so often too. The valve cover gasket does NOT need replacing if it is made of black rubber, and in good shape. You do need to completely clean the valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, and all contact points for them every time you take the cover off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed, though if you've more than couple months since the valve cover was last off just pick up a set that comes with the spark plug tube seals. No point in not doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts