Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, all.

We recently bought a used 2001 CR-V with 68,000 miles about a week ago. Test drove fine. Drove home fine. All was well.

The other day, I noticed that it shifted into overdrive gear way too soon. I did a drain and fill of the tranny fluid myself and what came out was pretty badly worn. The smell even burned my nose a bit. I also changed the differential fluid. The diff used to shutter a bit on tight turns and that problem is gone. But the issue with the trans shifting into the overdrive gear at around 25-30 mph coasting still exists. I alleviate the problem by hitting the OD button on the shifter to toggle OD off until I'm at a higher speed then toggle it back on so it shifts to OD at that point which is more appropriate and the RPMs aren't super low.

What could be the source of this problem? Would bad transmission fluid (I should do a couple more drain and fills) cause a transmission to shift to OD under too low of speed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just took it out for a more thorough test drive to get an idea of when and how this is happening.

So the first few minutes, she drives just fine. After about ten minutes of local driving, the problems rears it's ugly head. So it'll shift up through first, second, and third gears. And then, it feels like it shifts into OD, and it still goes well albeit the RPM is around 1400. Then, if I coast at that speed for a few more steady seconds, the tranny feels like it shifts into a higher gear again and the RPM drops to below 1000 RPM and it bogs down kind of and will "downshift" when I step on the gas harder.

I did some more research and it seems like maybe the torque converter is locking up too soon?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2001 CRv awd please don't waste time and money rebuilding your trans i did also change diff fluid I noticed turning the over drive until a higher speed is reached cuts the shuddering currently i'm researching the over drive system that are in these trucks,this is just a head's up to let you what not to do as soon as I find my answer i will gladly post it....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I just took it out for a more thorough test drive to get an idea of when and how this is happening.

I did some more research and it seems like maybe the torque converter is locking up too soon?

Thanks for your time.
My 2007 AT was doing this too. It is very hard to be sure but I think it is a symptom of dirty trans fluid and the gunk left behind by same. You can change your fluid 3-4 times and get some immediate benefits, but I think it takes about a month or two for all the gunk to get cleaned out and remain solvent in the fluid. A good time to change it again by the way is when you do see that the converter is back to normal RPM lock ups. I did and all seems well again. I had almost forgotten about this till I saw your post. Hope it works for you too.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have heard that the computer makes adjustments to the shift points based on operator usage. Could it be that the previous owner was hit rodding it or something? Perhaps resetting the computer and letting it learn your driving patterns could help some. Make sure you have the radio codes if you decide to try it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
ATF is like engine oil in that it has many additives. One additive cleans or dissolves fluid deposits. Here's how I see it working. New fluid goes in. New detergents begin to slowly dissolve the old deposits. This goes on for about 5-10K, and the detergents begin to wear out or become used up. Then you get about 5-10K of driving where another additive holds the deposits in suspension in the ATF. During the next 5-whatever K the ATF is depositing gunk on the trans interior and all it's associated components because the suspension additive is wearing out. Time to add new additives by draining 3L off and adding a new 3L of ATF.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
She's running like a Cheeta! (an older Cheeta, but yeh) I did some more research on your model year and I think that our trans are slightly different. Yours has a small screen somewhere in the system that can become plugged with ATF deposits. The way it runs OK for a few minutes and then starts to shift early to OD is the clue. The deposits slide off the screen while it sits parked, and when you start out after the settling the ATF can get through the screen OK for a while but then it slowly plugs up again and the problem reoccurs. Have you done more ATF changes? Honda fluid ONLY!!!
I have done about 3 changes since then and it is driving like new. You can do them 3L or 6L at a time to save some money I think. About every 2000km should do it. Then when you see some improvement do a triple change driving a little between changes to mix it up.
Or you can have the screen cleaned by Honda$

1 - 9 of 9 Posts