Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering this 2001 Honda CR-V for my first car. The vehicle is at 198,000 miles already, and the dealership is asking 5,000. It does look pretty clean, but so far most of the first generation Honda CR-Vs are running about this price and mileage (I live in the inland northwest U.S.A. so that has a bit to do with it.) Would it be stupid to buy this, or could it be worth the price and last me another 5 years if its in good shape? I intend to be diligent with maintenance and replacing whatever I need to in order to keep it in good shape. I'm also pretty active, so I'd like to be able to travel to get to my camping and hiking spots as well.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would say check the bluebook value of the car in your area. If the price range falls around that, then I would say it's a fair price assuming there's no major mechanical problems and the car's clean. Of course, wait and see what others think too and not just me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say check the bluebook value of the car in your area. If the price range falls around that, then I would say it's a fair price assuming there's no major mechanical problems and the car's clean. Of course, wait and see what others think too and not just me.
The Blue book price is significantly lower claiming that the fair market price is 2,100-3,200. Perhaps I should just ask for a car loan from my bank and go with a private sale. I've found a few for the right KBB price, with way less miles. :)

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The Blue book price is significantly lower claiming that the fair market price is 2,100-3,200. Perhaps I should just ask for a car loan from my bank and go with a private sale. I've found a few for the right KBB price, with way less miles. :)
Show that to the dealership and tell them to the lower their price or your going private. It’s a great little CRV, but it won’t be flying out the door at that price, if that’s what the blue book shows.

Also get at least a 30 day (or more) warranty from them, assuming it’s a reputable dealership.

I still see plenty of Gen.1 CRV’s kicking around, so I don’t see why you wouldn’t get another 5 years out of it. You won’t get 5 trouble free years out anything that old, but hopefully nothing major.

*** If you’ve seen lower prices with way less miles, than it sounds like a no-brainer to me, get it checked out and get a bank loan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts