Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Honda CR-V SE was purchased new by me and has about 70,000 miles on it. I was driving it on Friday when the air conditioning suddenly seemed to stop cooling the car. About 30 minutes later, the engine overheated and white smoke was billowing from the engine. Roadside assistance came, filled the radiator with coolant and sent me on my way. I drove about two miles, parked the car for about an hour and a half, and when I came out there was a puddle underneath. So I bought more coolant, drove about three more miles before I could see the engine heating up again. I stopped again, topped off the coolant and found a Honda dealership about three miles away.

The first thing the service adviser said to me was, "It may be time to put this car to sleep." I explained that I was not in a position to buy a different car right now. So we're pressing forward.

The radiator was blown, the head gasket was blown and the exhaust system needs to be replaced. (I had been planning to get the exhaust system looked at on Saturday.) The service adviser said that once they get inside the engine they could fine warped heads, a cracked engine block or who knows what else.

But whatever they find, I think I need to just have it fixed. Anything I should be aware of in this situation? Any thoughts on the likelihood that the heads are warped or the engine block is cracked?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome to the CRVOC forums, cabara! Sad to hear that your 01 SE has suffered a overheating issue... You should take it to a independent shop you trust and have a second opinion. Honda dealerships would always say the things you don't want to hear. With the way used B20 engines are selling ($500-1,000), I would swap out my engine if mine went. Remanufactured cylinder heads are about $250-400. Radiators are cheap around $40-50 for the OEM style, I would recommend spending the $110 for a two row aluminum radiator. As far as the cylinder head, you would know the extent of the damage until it's taken apart. Sometimes it's not as major unless you ran the vehicle overheated for an extensive period of time. Praying for yours, hopefully just a head gasket change will solve your problems. While you're in there, might as well change water pump and timing belt, etc. I personally would never give up my first gen, unless it's far beyond repairs. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought mine at an auction with 200k miles.. did head, gasket,timing belt,pump and have an awesome driving car.. show her some love! if you are mechanically inclined.. doing the work is possible!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts