Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All- (cross posting this inquiry)
Vehicle is my first Honda, 2001 CR-V 4wd with 82k miles.
Problem: I installed an aftermarket radio SHOULD have purchased a harness - but did not and connected the "orange" dimmer wire, which fries your Driver Multiplex Control unit (the white box behind the fuse panel that controls your cluster light/dimmer) now the instrument cluster back-lighting will not function.
I cannot find any mention on how to bypass the Multiplex Control unit to allow my cluster lights to function (without the dimming capabilities). YouTube has a few posts that illustrate jumping a red/red white ground wire to close the circuit for the cluster lights...but the "Fix" was for a Gen2 2002 Honda. I have not been able to find online a schematic for the 2001 CR-V to see it it is possible to bypass on the 2001. Perhaps the more experienced Honda guys may have a fix or suggestion for a workaround.
David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow! Over 160 views and no suggestions? Really was hoping that someone has figured out a workaround...I guess that I will have to dig some more to find the schematics for the 2001 cluster connections...the way i understand it, the workaround for the 2002 was to bridge the ground to the trace that comes from the dimmer...I have to look at my notes for what connections come out of the dimmer module and start checking the traces from the cluster lights to figure out what ground needs to be connected...to be continued on my findings.
Thanks for the views!

·
Registered
892 Posts
The 2001 isn't the same as the 02+ models. It is the last year of the 1st generation.

There is an Integrated Control Unit, but the best I can tell it is only fed an input to tell it the lights are on. I assume that you checked the fuse for the light circuit. If not, it is fuse 30 under the dash and labeled Instrument Lights. The only other thing that I can think of that may have gotten damaged is the dimmer switch itself.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow! Over 160 views and no suggestions? Really was hoping that someone has figured out a workaround...I guess that I will have to dig some more to find the schematics for the 2001 cluster connections...the way i understand it, the workaround for the 2002 was to bridge the ground to the trace that comes from the dimmer...I have to look at my notes for what connections come out of the dimmer module and start checking the traces from the cluster lights to figure out what ground needs to be connected...to be continued on my findings.
Thanks for the views!
I have a Service Repair Manual Chassis RD1-RD2-RD3 in .pdf format if you want to have a look at that and see if it is of any use to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts