Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I sold my '97 to a friends kid. Big mistake as it was the most reliable of the cars my kids were driving. I just stumbled upon a deal for a 2001 5-spd EX that appears to be in perfect condition. A one owner vehicle that must have been garaged from the condition of the paint. According to the dealer it has had 2 timing belts and been well cared for. Price $3100.....is it worth the risk?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
If you know the service history to be good, why not? I owned a 2001 CR-V SE with 226,000 miles and it ran great, right up to the point I got T-boned in an intersection. I was going to hang onto that rig forever. It didn't leak or burn a drop of oil, or at least non that was noticeable. I miss it.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
There is a really good chance at that mileage that somethings will require replacing, wether it turns out to be a good deal or not.

I'm sure it would be same if you kept the '97, eventually parts just wear out. Hopefully it's not a transmission.

But overall the Gen.1 CRV's have been pretty rock solid, as you can detest to!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
As long as your budget is $4k for the car I think it's a good deal. I always expect to put some money into a used car even if it's well cared for to begin with. Sets a baseline for maintenance items since few owners keep records of that stuff the way I do.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I love hearing of such big mileages from Hondas; another reason I recently began buying them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
We have a 94 Accord with over 200K and it runs like a champ, the engine uses no oil and the AT works perfect. It also has had 2 timing belts and water pumps but no other major expenses. With that said, it has had to have a lot of little things over the years like door lock actuators, hoses, valve adjustments, a radiator, fan motors for the radiator and interior blower, upper ball joints etc. If I could not do the work myself all of the little things would have cost a lot. It is still a reliable around town vehicle and we use the new CRV for travel.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
There is a really good chance at that mileage that somethings will require replacing, wether it turns out to be a good deal or not.

I'm sure it would be same if you kept the '97, eventually parts just wear out. Hopefully it's not a transmission.

But overall the Gen.1 CRV's have been pretty rock solid, as you can detest to!
You surely didn't mean this...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - I am picking it up today after watching it for a while and waiting for the end of the month to make an offer. I took it for a drive and it is rock solid! I talked to the original owner and he was telling me he drove it to FLA last year on vacation and traded only because he need the $$ from the deal on the new car. Timing belt replaced 2 times at the correct mileage (with valve adjustments). I didn't ask, but he must've replaced suspension parts as they aged because the handling was as tight as a new car.

It's my new daily driver ! I'm going to use this to keep the miles lower on my other car (BMW 5 series).

The only issue that I found was that the back gate doesnt want to latch correctly. I have to work the key to get it to close. I think there is something off/broken on the mechanism. I'll take the inside panel off and take a closer look when I can. Has anyone else had this issue? It almost feels like a spring is not working to reset the handle when you pop the gate open.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts