Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on these older models? Do they have timing belts and any powertrain issues? Any other common issues that make them less desireable? Any features make them more desireable? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
In 2002 they switched from a timing belt to a timing chain, so that was one less thing to worry about.

However, they also switched to a different A/C compressor which was prone to self destructing and taking out the whole A/C system...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, as far as I can tell, the a/c problem is really the only thing. A lot of people regard the second gen CRVs as the best ones.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You are talking about a 11 year old vehicle here, expect some minor problems.

-If the AC is still working ok, it could possibly be time for a recharge.
-Muffler could be going soon, as well as the heat shield rusting out. (easy to remove) and problem solved!
-spark plugs/wires???
-drive shaft (AWD)
-OEM speakers suck

Pretty minor stuff compared to N.A. vehicles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wasn't the AC problem rectified by '05? I don't recall that '06s had the problem; I own one so I've tried to pay a lot of attention to '06 reports.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,530 Posts
It was mid-2004 when Honda revamped the A/C compressors to reduce the incidence of failures. If you are looking at a '04 or earlier and the compressor was replaced after that time, you are good to go.

Regards the speakers, there are still some of the subwoofers that Honda sold for Vs and Odysseys on EBay. In the V, these fit under the front drivers' seat.

As far as desirability, each generation got more and more refined. Road noise is an annoyance to some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts