Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some searching on and off over the years since I found out I couldn't bolt on a K20 head and turbo to the K24 bottom end due to lack of software support. I've read, researched, and attempted to educate myself on Honda engines (I'm a GM LS guy personally with a 416ci LS3 in a Trailblazer SS, LQ9 with CNC 243 heads in a GMC Yukon, and 5.3 bored to 5.7 that will be going in my Silverado and turbocharged) Has any progress been made towards swapping in the 265hp 250tq J35A5 or the 286HP 256TQ J35A8 with the auto from a Saturn Vue and some was to make the AWD full time? The only mods my wife's CRV has is lowering springs, 18" Montegi Trak-Lite wheels, slotted rotors, upgraded pads, and SS lines. I would have upgraded more in regards to the brakes like bigger better calipers and larger diameter rotors but I couldn't seem to find any kits that weren't crazy expensive. Why no one makes brackets for the big Acura TL calipers or a bracket for using calipers from a performance model is beyond me but I guess demand isn't there. As far as the AWD and the rear diff swapping to a solid 8.8 Ford, Toyota Tacoma rear end, or any solid rear is a hard pass for me. Maybe the 8.8 center section from a Thunderbird or Lincoln Mark 8 if gearing will match the front would be ideal. Or 300ZX, IS300, SC300/400, Saturn Vue Redline, Pilot or the MDX center section could also work. The 8.8 IRS has tons of gearing options and sturdy differentials. Besides if you could send power only to the rear wheels who on planet earth wouldn't love a J35 RWD CRV? I understand 265HP and 286HP is over 100 more than the K24 makes but the exhaust wouldn't be as free flowing I bet, the intake would likely flow better than a stock airbox but the trick would be isolating it from the underhood heat, and who knows if the ECU could be tweaked or run as is. Best case if the exhaust, intake, and ECU have room for improvement the J35A4 and it's 240HP and 245TQ stock could be plenty. With the other two motors and the 25-46HP extra you wouldn't need to push the motor that hard and if there are gains to be had with the intake, manifolds, J pipe, dual 2.5" or single 3" exhaust and tweak ECU then the motor maintained should last forever because it wouldn't hardly be taxed pushing around a CRV that probably weighs 1k-1500 lbs less than the Pilot and MDX

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the stock CRV auto is only a 4 speed the H5 that was used in the Saturn Vue is a 5 speed. Depending it's final drive the cruising RPMs could drop making a CRV not only more powerful on the highway requiring less downshifting but turn less RPMs and make for a quieter ride at highway speeds depending what exhaust and intake is done. But the research I've been able to find on the J series VTEC doesn't hit until way past 4k so downshifting going up a steep grade and getting into VTEC doesn't seem likely.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Your trying to do things that a gen CRV body, frame etc cannot handle at all. And there is no following of going crazy on them, never meant to turned into frankencars.

That said, your going to need donor vehicles to make things work. And Honda Automatic transmissions will not tolerate engine being modded much. Have to switch to manual.

To get a better idea what can be done, forget you are working on a CRV and put that effort into learning about the Honda element. Then you'll figure out how and what you need to get crazy with your CRV. Elements are almost identical (different engine but only slightly) and tuning systems for the ECM exist for those.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts