Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i’ve been battling with trying to source this noise coming from my crv, it has 210k on the dash.
Basically whenever i accelerate there’s this sputtering noise that SOUNDS like an exhaust/manifold leak/motorcycle idle but i cannot locate it , i’ve gone under the car to find the source and nothing , i’ve gotten a little bit of bubbling with soapy water on the intake manifold but i don’t think it justifies the sound , it’s driving me insane, any suggestions or thoughts? I’ve included a link to videos of the noise and bubbling

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,591 Posts
Your vid sounds like injector or valve clatter to me. (I've heard noises from loose exhaust manifolds on other cars; not the same) FWIW, the exhaust manifold is against the firewall, THAT is where you should be looking.

Injector clatter: Run some Seafoam or Techron through the gasoline, don't forget to rev up the warm engine (or at least hold it in gear while flooring it. This changes the injector opening duration and helps the additive clean the injectors)

Valve clatter: We always recommend keeping an eye on the valve clearances, check them if you do not have records. But, given the recommendation to set the exhausts loose, that might not remove the noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your vid sounds like injector or valve clatter to me. (I've heard noises from loose exhaust manifolds on other cars; not the same) FWIW, the exhaust manifold is against the firewall, THAT is where you should be looking.

Injector clatter: Run some Seafoam or Techron through the gasoline, don't forget to rev up the warm engine (or at least hold it in gear while flooring it. This changes the injector opening duration and helps the additive clean the injectors)

Valve clatter: We always recommend keeping an eye on the valve clearances, check them if you do not have records. But, given the recommendation to set the exhausts loose, that might not remove the noise.
I will try the sea foam, thank you for your response!

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
562 Posts
To find out if it's a leak from intake manifold the underside of the manifold where it meets the engine head should be sprayed as well.

By looking around the exhaust manifold you can tell where it's leaking. There should be a black spot with the same kind of soot you see at the tail pipe tip.
Don't forget the Exh. Man. and down pipe connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts