Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I bought my 2002 CRV AWD back in 2015. It had 88k miles on it and all it needed were some new motor mounts and tires as both were dry rotted. The passenger side door locks didn't work at all, but I was a broke college kid and never got them fixed.

This past year, I got error code after code. Fortunately for normal things like a coil pack, 02 sensors, and an IMRC valve (that I never fixed because the code vanished). I got stranded a few times because of a dead battery and a busted heater hose, but again, wear and tear.

Now at 159k miles, only the driver rear and back door locks work, but only after you manually lock or unlock the driver door. The driver rear window just stopped working. The drivers seat rocks because something is wrong with the bushings? I have an odd clunk noise when coming to a stop that no mechanic or front end shop can locate. My paint is fading and clear coat is starting to crack on the hood and the roof (along with Texas hail damage and door dings). I noticed when changing my oil the other day that the oil pan gasket is leaking on the passenger side, but only about 1qt between changes.

I have always kept up on maintenance, changing oil with valvoline at every 5k miles, changing the tranny and rear differential at the proper times, and have generally drove it like normal. A few months out of the year, I'll use it a few times a week for it's AWD ability to go through wet/dry sand but that's it.

I've checked around and the repair costs at a shop for any of these seemingly small things is insanely high. I would love to try this myself, but I have no indoor place to put it and I work too much to have enough time in the evening to get anything done.

I just wanted some opinions on whether it's worth paying 1000+ to repair all these issues (minus the paint job, not even going there). I've heard these cars go on forever, but I've also heard these issues I have are common and frequent on these cars, as in if I fix the door locks, 6 months later they're messed up again?

I have been checking around, looking for something to replace the CRV. I've even looked at the newer CRVs with the same body style (04-06), but will I run into the same typical issues? I like the body style and how it drives, but I don't want to fix it if it's going to be an endless pit I'm throwing my money into. I need some direction to figure out my next step with this car. Thanks

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The paint I wouldn't worry about. That's caused by lack of washing and waxing along with exposure. Looks bad but hurts nothing.

The seat there is a TSB for. I bought the bushings and parts but yet to actually fix it.

Have the window and door locks fixed. Your barely half way through that CRVs life yet.

But try to find a decent shop or mechanically inclined friends to help replace the lock actuators (this happens due to lack of maintenance, they get gummed up inside, wd40 may go a long way here if motors are toast) and the window motor.

I'd fix what you can as you can. But keeping your CRV on the road is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing it. Anything you buy pretty much will have as many if not more repairs or you'll have a crappy cat payment every month if you buy new.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts