Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SRS light is on and my Honda Dealer has said that I need a new SRS Control Unit.

The cost of this is £1,100 including installation!!!!

Is it possible to replace this myself? If so, how do I do it? Where do I buy the correct unit from? Will I be able to install it or do I need to get a Honda Dealer to do the install?

I am not a mechanic but I have friends who are and will help me.

Any help is massively appreciated as there is no way I can afford the £1,100... :-(

Thanks everyone....

:)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Check out ebay. Around $40 to have it rebuilt. There are many options besides a dealer rip off.
Try youtube for ideas on installing it yourself and just plain google.
Buffalo4
PS: Did you ever get the codes off it?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Depending on the cost, you might consider a used unit. From your post, I take you are in the UK, from the UK Wheeler Dealer TV show we get here, I am surprised by the various parts sources and re-builders you have available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depending on the cost, you might consider a used unit. From your post, I take you are in the UK, from the UK Wheeler Dealer TV show we get here, I am surprised by the various parts sources and re-builders you have available.
Thanks for your help. Yes I am in the UK. Perhaps I should have said. If I do buy a used unit, are they plug and play? Or do I need the dealer to re-program it and install it? Is it easy to buy the correct unit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out ebay. Around $40 to have it rebuilt. There are many options besides a dealer rip off.
Try youtube for ideas on installing it yourself and just plain google.
Buffalo4
PS: Did you ever get the codes off it?
Hi. thanks for your message. What do you mean by the "codes"? Are they a code written on the physical srs control unit? If so, do you know where the unit is located and how it is accessed?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The codes are the trouble codes retrieved from the OBD II diagnostics connector. The code retrieved will give some indication where the problem lies.
The SRS unit is under the radio, lower center of dash, will likely have to remove some of the dash trim to access.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The codes are the trouble codes retrieved from the OBD II diagnostics connector. The code retrieved will give some indication where the problem lies.
The SRS unit is under the radio, lower center of dash, will likely have to remove some of the dash trim to access.
All I know is that my Honda Dealer gave me a document that stated "SRS UNIT IS AT FAULT FOR THE SRS LIGHT". They told me that I had to have it replaced. With this information, do I still need the codes?

So, if I do as follows, will it work?
1) Remove the SRS control unit from the location that you specified.
2) Take note of the part/model number.
3) search on ebay for this specific part
4) plug in the new SRS control unit.

Or are there more complicated steps? As I said, I do have mechanic friends that will be able to help.

FYI, I have just ordered this - HAYNES WORKSHOP REPAIR OWNERS MANUAL HONDA CR-V PETROL & DIESEL 51 TO 56

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The codes are trouble codes and indicate wherein the fault lies, that's all.
The SRS light can go on even due to a faulty seat buckle so codes are important sometimes.
Seat belt buckles are warranted for lifetime free replacement, I believe.
A code reader that reads SRS codes is required as a regular code reader won't work.
Or, read below url to see how to get the codes to flash by shorting two prongs.

AFAIK, it can just be a remove and replace item fix. Make sure the vehicle's battery is disconnected for a period of time before doing any work on an airbag system to prevent injury of one accidentally being deployed. You should be able to purchase one online, either rebuilt or have yours reset. It just has a couple of bolts or screws holding it down and a couple on plug-in sockets.
I don't know where it is located on a CRV.
Again search the internet and their may even be a video on you-tube or similar.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/problems/airbags.shtml recall on some 2002 Honda CRVs

Also read: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/28-1995-1998-odyssey/64624-srs-light-out-after-4-years-internal-fault-srs-module.html different model, but similar situation.

Didn't find the procedure for getting the codes off a crv. Sorry, but you can do a search for it, if you are interested.

Buffalo4
PS:Make sure it is the correct part number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The codes are trouble codes and indicate wherein the fault lies, that's all.
The SRS light can go on even due to a faulty seat buckle so codes are important sometimes.
Seat belt buckles are warranted for lifetime free replacement, I believe.
A code reader that reads SRS codes is required as a regular code reader won't work.
Or, read below url to see how to get the codes to flash by shorting two prongs.

AFAIK, it can just be a remove and replace item fix. Make sure the vehicle's battery is disconnected for a period of time before doing any work on an airbag system to prevent injury of one accidentally being deployed. You should be able to purchase one online, either rebuilt or have yours reset. It just has a couple of bolts or screws holding it down and a couple on plug-in sockets.
I don't know where it is located on a CRV.
Again search the internet and their may even be a video on you-tube or similar.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/problems/airbags.shtml recall on some 2002 Honda CRVs

Also read: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/28-1995-1998-odyssey/64624-srs-light-out-after-4-years-internal-fault-srs-module.html different model, but similar situation.

Didn't find the procedure for getting the codes off a crv. Sorry, but you can do a search for it, if you are interested.

Buffalo4
PS:Make sure it is the correct part number.
that is really helpful. Thanks.

However, if my dealer has analysed the problem, presumably with the correct equipment, and told me that it is the SRS control unit that is faulty, is there any benefit in knowing the codes now?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
that is really helpful. Thanks.

However, if my dealer has analysed the problem, presumably with the correct equipment, and told me that it is the SRS control unit that is faulty, is there any benefit in knowing the codes now?
If the dealer is correct, likely they are, no you don't need the codes.

From what I understand, disconnect the battery wait several minutes, disconnect, remove, replace, reconnect, hook up battery.
I am not sure how much the manual you purchased will help, that type tends to be somewhat generic, investing in an OE Honda manual is worth the $

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have the same issue here - been living with a SRS ligth for a while - £1k+ for a repair and honda - so i decided to try my luck on a alternative - i've picked up a second unit, had it reset.. just need the time to fit and see if it all works.. so far cost has been £25 for SRS unit, and £25 to have it reset.. hopefully get it fitted once i have time to remove all the dashwork... i have read something about having to have the SRS unit reset once installed.. that might have to be a garage job since it mentions using the Multi pin break out box ??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have the same issue here - been living with a SRS light for a while - £1k+ for a repair at honda - so i decided to try my luck with an alternative - i've picked up a second SRS unit, had it reset.. just need the time to fit and see if it all works.. so far cost has been £25 for SRS unit, and £25 to have it reset.. hopefully get it fitted once i have time to remove all the dashwork... i have read something about having to have the SRS unit reset once installed.. that might have to be a garage job since it mentions using the Multi pin break out box ??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts