Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am hoping to find good, knowledgeable advise on some codes.

My 2002 Honda CRV EX is throwing the following codes:
P0700 = Transmission Control
P0171 = O2 Sensor Bank 1
P0420 = Catalytic Converter or O2 Sensor Bank 2
P0845 = 3rd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch
Blinking "D" = Related to P0845?

O2 Sensor Codes:
The engine was replaced in December 2013. The mechanic said the O2 Sensor codes may be due to the crud thrown downstream by the engine. I replaced the front O2 Sensor by myself before the engine replacement, and it was not that hard. So, would it be wise to replace only the front O2 Sensor and see what happens? Or, is it best and more cost effective to buy the 2-pack O2 Sensor kit?

I was going for the O2 Sensors first, hoping it is not catalytic converter. I think a catalytic converter would be beyond my beginner car repair capabilities.

Transmission Codes
For the P0845 code, is it harder to replace the 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch than an O2 Sensor? If not, what types of specialized tools may be required? Are there any good photos or youtube videos on this for a 2002 CRV?

Could the P0700 Transmission Control code just be related to the P0845 code?

Any advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Looks like its the catalytic converter. You can easily test it like Buffolo said with a infrared thermometer. The other code is for the sensor/switch in the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First Post. I owe a debt of gratitude to those who have helped me with my own troubleshooting.

Hi, We had the CEL on with P0171 and P0420 codes on our 2010 CRV. No noticeable issues with misfires or otherwise. After Exhaustive reading of this and other forums and internet sites, I made the decision to replace the sensors from least to most expensive, we needed to pass emissions. If needed, the Cat would be last. After replacing the rear sensor (with a Denso) no change. Then purchased and installed the front sensor (also a Denso) and the CEL went off and so far has stayed off. We passed emissions.

I am personally skeptical of those who immediately say the problem is with the Cat. I have had similar issues with a 2003 Lexus and 2005 Subaru, and it's always been a sensor replacement which has solved the problem, permanently. Just prepare yourself for the fun of getting those little clips loose and working in tight spaces. I'm not a big dude, and I can't imagine someone much bigger than me accessing the front sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First Post. I owe a debt of gratitude to those who have helped me with my own troubleshooting.

Hi, We had the CEL on with P0171 and P0420 codes on our 2010 CRV. No noticeable issues with misfires or otherwise. After Exhaustive reading of this and other forums and internet sites, I made the decision to replace the sensors from least to most expensive, we needed to pass emissions. If needed, the Cat would be last. After replacing the rear sensor (with a Denso) no change. Then purchased and installed the front sensor (also a Denso) and the CEL went off and so far has stayed off. We passed emissions.

I am personally skeptical of those who immediately say the problem is with the Cat. I have had similar issues with a 2003 Lexus and 2005 Subaru, and it's always been a sensor replacement which has solved the problem, permanently. Just prepare yourself for the fun of getting those little clips loose and working in tight spaces. I'm not a big dude, and I can't imagine someone much bigger than me accessing the front sensor.
A follow up more than a year and about 20K miles later - My wife let me know a few days ago the CEL was back, I checked the codes and its P0171 again. At least I know what to look at first now. I guess I'll attack this one after I get my other vehicle running, which I am getting an education on ignition coils and all the fun stuff related to that! That cheap code reader I bought many years ago has paid for itself many many times over now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts