Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the forum for a while now and have solved a few problems from the information on here but this one I cannot seem to nail down and my mechanic cant get me in for a few days so I figured I would post a thread here.

Over the last few weeks I have noticed my 2002 CRV with 163k on it has been a little sluggish to get going, hardly noticeable but it was concerning me anyways. Last night I was parked uphill and had a few people get in to go to dinner and when I began accelerating there was a pretty nasty shudder from the front end. There was also the slightest grinding noise I heard briefly also. Once we were going it was ok but was still a slight bit rough. I tried to get a video of it this morning so I could post here but it only does it when the car is going uphill with a heavier load in it so I could not replicate to where it could be heard on video.

In the past I havent been the best at regular maintenance but in the last six months I have been getting caught up on all the routine stuff. What has not been done is a transmission flush and I also have not changed the front diff. fluid. But I did check the transmission fluid and it is right where it should be, its not burnt, but definatly needs to be be changed.

Any ideas? And sorry in advance if I left out any information that would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You can read for a week about how to change (not FLUSH) your trans fluid here http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/2324-honda-auto-trans-flush-procedure-official.html But basically use only Honda fluid and drain it, refill it and drive it for 5 miles before draining and filling again. Do this 3 times to get most of the old fluid out checking the level each time. If your happy with the level just measure what you take out and replace same amount. Getting the level right is tricky.
There is no front diff on that one but the rear diff should be done like this http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/6585-black-pearls-2007-rear-differential-fluid-change-photo-essay.html
How long since the valve clearances were checked???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do you reckon a transmission fluid CHANGE would be a good place to start? And I spaced on the front diff, dont really know what I was thinking.

And I couldnt tell you the last time the clearances were checked. I know I had a tune up a year or two ago but would they have done that then?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
At a Honda dealer the valve clearance check costs close to $400 with plugs. It is not usually done with a tune up but probably should be. Try the tran fluid change first and while I think of it be careful to pour the fluid back in slowly or it may back up and spill. I did not see that in the DIY link.
Have you had any trouble with cold starts?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The atf would be the first thing to change, as fixer suggests. Many have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF (some use Amsoil, Mobil, Red Line) that is approved for Honda trannies with good results.
However, using Honda DW-1 is suggested by many and you will not go wrong using that. Drain and fill three times will give you over 80% new fluid. A new drain plug washer is recommended for the final drain and fill. (takes around 3.5 qts each time and DW-1 is around $10/qt)
The rear diffy fluid change is also a pretty easy one to do yourself, if you have a little manual pump to get the fluid (Honda DP-2) out of the qt container and into the upper hole of the diffy. I believe it takes around 1.1qts. Some just use their ATF for the final 0.1qt rather than buying another qt of DP2. If the diffy makes a rubbing, whining, scraping type sound during slow tight turns, it definately needs changing ASAP.
The valve clearance adj is pretty easy to do also, if you are mechanically inclined and there are good writeups and photos in this forum.
Also, the spark plugs can be checked/replaced very easily.
Buffalo4
PS: Worn or broken motor mounts will exaggerate any roughness in the motor.
PPS: If you do it by the book, use ONLY Honda products.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the same problem on a 160k mile 2003 CRV. When you perform a powerful startup after a fully stop vehicle it sounds like the transmission or the front axle is something loose or a slipping front axle.

Reading from a lot of blogs and CRV forums, I have performed the Transmission oil change procedure, remove the shaft that powers the rear wheels and no luck so far.

I have change the front engine mount, park plugs, inspected and correct the valve clearance gaps.

I don’t want to remove the transmission, that’s my last resort.

What could it be the problem? An Axle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts