• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

With our CRV we began to notice a mild shuddering while driving around 35 mph. the shuddering seems to occur only under light load, around 1500 rpm, and, the trans in 3rd. gear.

The dealer pulled the code, told us it read the tourque converter was bad, a $1800 usd. repair.

Mildly suspicious, I called a local trans repair shop, they said Honda will do this to get the car in, then tell you the solinoid valve in the trans is NG, and will need to replace the entire trans, $2500 usd. The solinoid is part of the casting, therefore, it can't be removed- replaced, ect.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with the CRV transmissions?

Thanks, Happy Holidays Honda fans!

jayser. " The Wright Bro's started with a Bike shop":

·
Everything in Moderation
7,889 Posts
Before you invest another dime, change (drain and fill) the automatic trans fluid three times (driving around a bit between each change). Use ONLY Honda ATF (either Z-1 or the new DW-1)

You will need ~ 10 quarts for the change plus a couple of crush washers for the drain and fill bolts.

++++++

Get back to us with the results. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transmission problems

I just had the same problem with my 2005 CRV. If you will call me I will glad to tell you how to correct your problem. 1-502-63307568.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 2005 CRV. If you will call me I will glad to tell you how to correct your problem. 1-502-63307568.
Why must he call you? Is this some huge secret that you can't share? Just a reminder that this is a forum and its purpose is the sharing of useful information.
A bit odd and creepy really.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Poor wording - "flush". Most car dealers will hook up transmission flushing machine to vehicle & change out all fluid @ 1 time. Honda/AHC forbids machine flushing in favor of 3x fluid change-out @ 60K.

Check in Maintenance section of this forum, post #1, on how to do fluid change-out. http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2324 Be sure to read all of post #1 before you go through this thread.

Myself, like some others, are using 1x change-out, only doing it @ every other oil change [approx. 15K]. See post #15 on pg. 2 for rationale for doing 1x exchange. http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2324&page=2 This version just seems to make the most sense to me. You're under the "V" with all the necessary tools, so why not? Adds about 10-15 minutes more time when you're doing an oil change.

Still others seem to prefer this method: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13012 .

Which ever way you choose, remember these 2 unalterables:
1. USE ONLY HONDA TRANSMISSION FLUID. AT PRESENT, HAVE 2 CHOICES, BUT ONLY GET YOUR FLUID FROM A HONDA DEALER. AFAIK, OTHER FLUID$ WILL ONLY CAU$E PROBLEM$.
2. DON'T HOOK YOUR TRANSMISSION TO A MACHINE. LET GRAVITY DO ALL THE WORK.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have the same problem. Trans shudders (I like that word) at 35mph when it's just coasting along. It only happens occasionally under the same circumstances, (can't make it happen) and it occurs about once every 2 days. It sounds like driving over a steel grate bridge, only it lasts for about 3-7 seconds and quits. At first I thought it was bulldozer tracks (indents) in the pavement because our area is under construction. (road work and new homes.) Then I started reading the forum to find out I was not alone and when it happened I tracked back on the same piece of road to see if I could get the sound again. No luck. Du oh! If anyone finds out more on this PLEASE let us know. Anything!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nothing wrong with S key - just using $ because, if you've ever had a transmission problem, you know that it is a high dollar fix.

Just my guess, but Honda-brand fluids & Acura-brand fluids probably come from the same storage tank. My suggestion was meant to mean that using Mercon/Dextron type or any other non-Honda/Acura fluid will cause big ticket repairs to be needed.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Why must he call you? Is this some huge secret that you can't share? Just a reminder that this is a forum and its purpose is the sharing of useful information.
A bit odd and creepy really.
Maybe he was thinking it would just be easier to explain over the phone. In any case I would call him if the phone number did not have one too many numbers:confused: in it. I would really like to hear the answer. I would be willing to spend the time to write it all down for everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts