Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
New member here.
I have a 2002 Ex with 138K miles on it. It recently started making a whining noise that I hear mostly when I take my foot off the gas. It is hard to tell if it is coming from the front or the rear. The car drives and shifts fine. There is no grinding noise from the rear like when there is a problem with the diff fluid. My mechanic (not Honda) thought it was coming from the transmission. What do you think? Might changing the fluids help?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
What does the atf look like? Clear, reddish, no burnt odor?
If you have changed it in many miles, you should probably do at a minimum, single drain and fill.
If it still has the old Honda Z-1 in it, you should probably do 4 drain and fills with driving time between each one.
Don't use Honda Z-1, but use the new Honda DW-1 or another synthetic atf that is compatible with your CRV, such as Valvoline MaxLife Des/Merc atf (Walmart @ around $18/gal jug).
You don't even need to jack up the CRV to do it. Just make sure you know where to fill it up and you can get to it before you do the drain part. I think the 02 CRV takes about 3 qt per drain and fill.
Even if that doesn't stop the whine, it is damn good preventive maintenance.
Same with the diffy fluid, but use only Honda DP2 fluid.
Buffalo4
PS: Hopefully someone with that gen CRV who experienced it will post here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Buffalo4. The trans fluid was low initially, and was discolored. I will try replacing the fluid as you suggest first. I think I might replace the diff fluid too in case the sound might be coming from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts