Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got two noises that I can't track down. Looking for the assist.

The first is a ticking noise coming from the engine. It speeds up and slows down with RPMs and is there regardless of engine temp. Using a screwdriver stethoscope, the noise seems to be loudest on the passenger side, then gets quieter the farther down the valve cover you go (audio below). I did a valve adjustment last weekend hoping that was the issue, it isn't.

Second noise, I'm not really sure how to explain. It's not a squeal, but it's coming from the belt area. Kind of a chirp that speeds up and slows down with RPMs. I almost don't want to say it sounds like a bearing because I'm unable to nail down the noise with the stethoscope and sometimes the noise isn't there (but normally is). The belt is showing some cracking (it's the original @135k miles) so replacing the belt is going to be my first step.

Any other thoughts on those two?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
No clue on the ticking sound. Kinda sounds like my 03 Ody. :eek:
The chirping sound you mentioned may well be the tensioner pulley on the AC belt, although it usually only makes noise when it is cold outside. Try the 'broomstick' stethoscope method on that pulley support and see if that is it.
Could just be that worn out belt chirping.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Try this, remove the drive belt, then manually spin each pulley excluding the crank. See if any of the pulley turns roughly. Before pulling the belt out, be sure you draw a diagram on how the belt is routed. I can tell you that , its going to be a pain to put back the belt. I would suggest to pick up a new belt as there is very minimal space in there. I got a good hunch its the tensioner or the water pump. Let us know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try this, remove the drive belt, then manually spin each pulley excluding the crank. See if any of the pulley turns roughly. Before pulling the belt out, be sure you draw a diagram on how the belt is routed. I can tell you that , its going to be a pain to put back the belt. I would suggest to pick up a new belt as there is very minimal space in there. I got a good hunch its the tensioner or the water pump. Let us know.
Will do. Replacing the belt is on my list of to-dos, so I'll be sure to check the pulleys while I'm in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something I noticed yesterday in regards to the ticking. It really gets more prominent when the vtec kicks in, yo - right around 5k+.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now I can't be sure as I'm not there listening listening to the sounds and exactly where they come from but they sound like noisy tappets. If you listen to the rhythm you can hear the engine fire 4 times and the tick sound once. From experience the timing of the tick seems to coincide with where you might hear a noise from an excessive valve clearance. As I say I cannot be 100% sure but it might be worth investigating that first. Also as you mention it becomes more pronounced when the vtec kicks in I would be inclined to lean towards that prognosis.

As mentioned before the chirp could be a dry bearing or a worn belt. Has the car been stood for long periods in the past. I had a Landcruiser that made that sound and it was just because a short portion of belt had weathered more than the rest of the belt because it had been sat on a sales forecourt for a long time without being fired up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. No, the car has never sat. It's been a daily driver for the past 12 years. I'd like to get to the belt this weekend so hopefully that issue gets under wraps quickly.

I think you're right about the tick occurring once per revolution.

Not sure if you saw the links I posted above with videos of the noise under a scope, here they are:
Passenger side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-R7nLYjFhU
Center: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khjwDHyc2Fo
Driver's side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-TGdKXNrRg

And one I took today of the full engine running (cold startup):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hFj3Cwz2V8

You can hear the chirp in the last one as well.

I ran over all the valves last weekend. It was my first time doing it, so it may not be perfect, but I did end up tightening a few a little. I hoped this would alleviate the issue, but it hasn’t.

The tick is a kind of a big deal to me because in my mind this will decide on whether or not I try to keep the car for long-haul or trade it in in the fall, depending on what the issue ends up being.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RoiQd2RoRM

Sorry I mean the vtec strainer. Do not touch the valves yet. There is a cleanable screen/filter inside the vtec that gets clogged like your kitchen sink. You just have to open the vtec and clean the screen and install it again.:cool:
That's actually really interesting. When you said "vtec valve" I though you were messing with me a la weld the diffs or headlight fluid.

It's interesting because I thought I might have a really small leak coming from that area, but didn't realize that that component was there and played into the oil system. I'll have to check on that. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was under the hood today and yeah, the vtec sensor/solenoid/valve/whateverthehell is leaking all over my driveway - so....add that to the list.

Also - I replaced the belt and haven't heard any squeaking yet. I checked all of the pulleys and they all spin smoothly and freely so I'm guessing that sound was the belt.

Now - back to recheck the valves I guess to try to get rid of the ticking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I know. I did the adjustment already a couple weeks ago but since it was the first time I'd ever done it on any car I want to take a second look at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts