Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New CR-V owner, 2002 EX AT with 87K. Mechanic gave it the green light, and after digging through this forum I've taken care of some minor stuff and plan to adjust the valves and have a new AC compressor put in as ye olde ounce of prevention.

I have a couple questions that I'll post in the appropriate forums. Thanks for the resource, I've learned a bunch already.

Last two vehicles were Civics, this is my first CR-V and I'm liking it so far!

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,643 Posts
Welcome to the CRV forum and on your new '02. Post some pictures when you can.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used the information available here and acquired an inexpensive OBDII bluetooth reader, and using it and and Android app I've dealt with one Malfunction code (Bad fuel/air sensor) and one flashing "D" light code (pressure sensor, tamed by a drain/fill that corrected an overfill situation). I don't think I'd have been aware of either if I'd not learned from here how to replace the instrument cluster bulbs. The "D" light was out, and while I was in there I replaced 'em all, but foolishly threw them out without checking for burned out bulbs...I'll always wonder if the Malfunction bulb was out when I bought it, because it lit up right after the swap.

Besides doing the transmission drain and fill, I've done the power steering and differential fluids. I plan to do the coolant next, even though it's never gotten above 189 when I've been monitoring things, just don't know how old it is. Same for the brake fluid, plan to use the gravity method for that task. After that I think I'm out of fluids to swap out, since the oil's been changed just prior to purchase.

Without the advice I've read here, I'd have either ignored this maintenance or had to shell out to have it done, and the indicator lights would have set me back for two trips to my mechanic and probably a towing bill. I'm also pretty sure the advice to stick with Honda DW-1, PS and differential fluids would have never occurred to me as a do it yourselfer, although I've since learned the repair shop we use has an "only Honda fluids in Honda transmissions and differentials" policy.

I'll admit to being intrigued by the reports of good results with Castrol import ATF and other brake and coolant fluids, but for the first round I think I'll stay all Honda with the exception of the coolant. I've got some Prestone 50/50 on hand, and I'll keep a close eye on temps after the drain and fill.

Thanks for all the information! Perhaps some pics later, I'm working on a Ron Swanson spare cover, and if it turns out I may have to post that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.