Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 207K miles on my '02 CR-V EX. It was idling rough and getting multiple P030x codes, so I replaced the plugs with NGK IZFR6K11 (2nd replacement - first @ 115K).

I found one of the plugs (#3) was a bit loose and the plug, coil & tube were all fouled - so I ordered a replacement Denso (OE) ignition coil. I was still getting the P0301 code, but thought replacing the #3 coil might have some effect. It didn't. Since the vehicle is nearly 10 years old, I decided to replace the remaining coils which showed minimal dry-rot on the ends.

With all four plugs & coils replaced, I am still getting the P0301 code alone. I removed the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and then ran through the Idle Learn Procedure, which seems to help the rough idle - though it still isn't as smooth as it was previously, and the P0301 code returns shortly after a cold start. Thankfully, I have a ScanGuage-II and can reset it easily myself.

Is it possible that a fuel injector is the cause? I'm going to get some AMSOIL P.i. Performance Improver tonight and run that through the system, but am not sure what to check next if the P0301 code remains.

Also, I want to be certain that I'm reading the Service Manual correctly, and that the misfire on #1 is the rightmost when facing the engine from the front of the vehicle (and not vice-versa). It seems backwards to me.

I've read a lot of posts here regarding multiple persistent P030x codes, but not much on the single P0301 code.

Thank you very much for any assistance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have the valve clearances been checked?
No. I've been trying to do what I could without taking it in. I'm guessing that is strictly a service department task, correct?

I did add the AMSOIL P.i. while filling the tank on my way home today. If the code returns in the morning, I guess a check of the valve clearances is next. What about getting a compression test done?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Whether or not it should be done by service dept. is up to you. If you are very mechanically inclined and like that type of work, go for it. Read this http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8893 over and type "CRV valve clearance check" into the google search at the top of this page and you can decide. Call the service dept up and see what they would charge. If it's under $300 I would be inclined to let them do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove 30+ miles yesterday after adding the AMSOIL P.i. additive and topping off the tank. No code appeared then or this morning. I'm going to ride out this entire tank before even hoping that the problem is resolved. I must say that the idle is noticeably improved and the CR-V seemed to have more "get up and go" as I drove in this morning. Nothing scientific to support either observation, of course.

Regardless, is the valve clearance check something I should have done even if the P0301 code does not return in the near future? What about a compression test?

I doubt I'll do either of these checks myself. I enjoy being a DIY'er, but one line stands out on the link you provided (thank you!): "I'm not sure I'd recommend making the Honda CR-V your first valve adjustment..."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No codes for three days, and then yesterday I got P0300, P0301 & P0303. I cleared them immediately and haven't seen any more since, but my previous questions remain: Get a valve clearance check? Get a compression test? Get both? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
No codes for three days, and then yesterday I got P0300, P0301 & P0303. I cleared them immediately and haven't seen any more since, but my previous questions remain: Get a valve clearance check? Get a compression test? Get both? Thanks.
Sorry for not getting back sooner HawkInOz. Yeh if you have over 50000 on that motor I think it's a good idea to have it done. At the very least it gives you a bench mark. (Ask them to record the clearances.) Then if anything is close you know you haven't got too much farther to go (15000) before checking them again. If they haven't moved much in that period then you can extend the check times.:D A comp check costs less but basically tells you it could be a burnt valve :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before I go too far into this, you should know that I'm a municipality fleet technician; I repair police cars and other fleet vehicles/equipment. I've only ever owned Honda's myself and our city also owns one ('03 Accord), but none of the Honda's that I've ever owned or worked on have really had any check engine light concerns. I'm not as familiar with Honda's electronics as I am with other manufacturers' systems. That being said, I'll try to help shed some light in a round about form to hopefully be help answer some of your questions.

As you probably know, P-codes are all performance based codes, and the 0301 - 0304 portions of your trouble code(s) are for cylinder #'s 1-4. Now, I could be wrong on this, but I believe that Honda uses an active "continuous monitor" system when monitoring for cylinder misfires. What this means is that you could have your Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) turned off, and with the engine running that same MIL will illuminate the moment you unplug an ignition coil or unplug a coil wire to an individual cylinder. I personally prefer this system as it gives you real time data. As an FYI, if you were to try unplugging an ignition coil on a Ford ('96 and up), the engine would sputter and misfire and would take forever to set the MIL for a misfire trouble code. Thank you Honda for giving us a better system than that!

Anyhow, what's been stated by some of the senior forum members is very much correct. If you're not comfortable trying to do a valve adjustment, it's best to leave it alone. I kind of doubt that you're getting a misfire from a valve lash adjustment, however it is entirely possible, especially given the mileage that you mentioned in the first post. A compression concern can certainly cause an engine misfire, but given what you've told us I find it as unlikely to be the culprit. In the last post that you made you stated that you had a P0300 trouble code which is for a random misfire. It is entirely possible to have a random misfire code along with other individual cylinder codes. In short, it sounds like whatever your performance concern is, it's effecting all 4 of your cylinders at once and not just one at a time.

Trash in fuel injectors, a stopped up fuel filter, leaking intake manifold gaskets and compression concerns could all cause a random misfire code to appear as they effect what goes on across all of the cylinders. Another item that's often not brought up yet is that of the catalytic converter in the exhaust system. Once they get plugged up, the extra back pressure in your combustion chambers will cause P0300 codes to appear all day long. I'm not saying that a cat failure is your concern, but rather that it's possible (and is also very common on domestic vehicles). A simple engine bay test that you can safely perform on your own is to spray the electrical connectors and components down with water (such as out of a squeeze trigger spray bottle, not a water hose) while the engine is running. If water over your ignition coils causes the engine to sputter for instance, that component is shorted out and needs to be replaced.

The water test simulates driving through water puddles, rain or even possible heavy mist. Don't leave standing water on anything, but don't be afraid to spray water on something with a squirt bottle as the connections and components should be sealed. If it were my vehicle, I'd be looking at a fuel filter (if yours even has one, some vehicles do not) or possibly even an air filter. If those are good, sometimes spraying some B12 on and around the intake manifold or outside of the throttle body with the engine running could be a valid test. If the engine stumbles with the B12 test, then you most likely have a leak at that point (typically around a gasket). If all else fails, it's entirely possible with your given mileage that a catalytic converter could be the concern. Whatever it is, something is starting to effect all of your cylinders at once. If you've replaced all of the coils and spark plugs, then either something isn't firing your coils or something else is going on. Camshaft position sensors can also cause your ignition timing to get all out of whack and not fire in proper sequence, and that is also another extremely valid possibility.

I didn't mean to thread-jack your post on the board, so I really hope it wasn't taken as such. Hopefully something I've said will be able to be of some assistance! I was bored and felt that I'd send a reply to your posts to see if I could help you out. Anyhow, post back on here with any new information that you might come up with and I'm sure that one of us on the board will be able to point you into the right direction. Good luck my friend!

Dustin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's in the shop today, getting the valve's and cat checked out. Will post the results when in. I really appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As promised, here's what was done. Three of the four valves were a full turn too tight - and were sticking open as a result. After loosening them and clearing all the codes, several short trips have not resulted in any additional misfires being registered. We'll see soon enough if this is has completely eliminated the problems. If not, you'll hear from me again with an update. If all stays quiet, then you probably won't.

The catalytic converter was not even looked at since the CEL remained off.

Hopefully this thread will be of some value to someone else out there. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
As promised, here's what was done. Three of the four valves were a full turn too tight - and were sticking open as a result. After loosening them and clearing all the codes, several short trips have not resulted in any additional misfires being registered. We'll see soon enough if this is has completely eliminated the problems. If not, you'll hear from me again with an update. If all stays quiet, then you probably won't.

The catalytic converter was not even looked at since the CEL remained off.

Hopefully this thread will be of some value to someone else out there. Thanks again for the replies.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully you have the cure.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Partial quote from 01sugar2; I didn't mean to thread-jack your post on the board, so I really hope it wasn't taken as such. Hopefully something I've said will be able to be of some assistance! I was bored and felt that I'd send a reply to your posts to see if I could help you out. Anyhow, post back on here with any new information that you might come up with and I'm sure that one of us on the board will be able to point you into the right direction. Good luck my friend!

Hey man, never have to apologize for helping someone.:) Looking forward to seeing more of your posts now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts