Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 CRV with 99k miles on has quite heavy power steering, more so at lower speed. When parking it is tougher to use one hand to steer, it usually requires 2 hands. No whining from the power steering pump, I drained and refilled the reservoir about 4 times a while ago.

Any ideas? The pump is obviously original, looking at it. I'd love the car so much more if the steering was as light as I believe it should be at lower speeds!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add, I've had the tracking done twice, both new front tyres + wheels balanced.
And a new track rod end on the front which was failing

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Did you use Honda PSF? Try this when your'e at a parking lot or the driveway shift it into neutral then turn the steering wheel does it turn heavy? If so, leave it in neutral then rev up the engine while turning does it feel lighter?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a feeling it does not get lighter when revving in neutral (I think I've tried it before) but I'll try it again tomorrow.
Not sure about the fluid, again, I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks!

Edit - yes I did use Honda PSF

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Ok. I see. Because I have seen before that some people use regular ATF or regular PSF with not working properly in a Honda. If all checks well, you might have a bad Pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would the pump not make a noise though?
I have a couple of times lately when come heard a bit of a whine for a matter of seconds... Given the age of the car I ignored it!
Is there a definite way to tell if it is the pump?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
the only way to be positive sure if it's the pump is to install a pressure gauge. Have you replaced the o-ring before in the inlet hose? How is the belt tension? Is it good?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
With the engine idling, look inside the power steering reservoir. Do you see foam/bubbles? If so, you have an air leak, probably at the inlet joint O-ring. On later models, the O-ring was changed to orange rubber. The original one was black. (For USA/Canadian models anyhow.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Belt tension seems good, the belt was replaced 6k miles ago. However, it does squeal when going through water (big puddles)
I haven't replaced any o-rings. Is there a diagram to show the inlet joint? If so, I'll get the part ordered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now you mention it... I do vaguely remember seeing bubbles or foaming in the reservoir a while ago. I'll double check when I get home.

Would that cause the heavy steering at low speed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - so there is no bubbles or foaming in the reservoir that I can see. A tiny patch of foam (like a matter of 5 mini bubbles grouped together) sitting on the surface. The fluid does look quite brown when looking at it sat in the reservoir. Revving makes no difference to the weight of turning either.

Also, I unplugged the connector at the end of the fluid line coming off the pump and it made no difference, no lights, no difference to the steering, nothing.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
There should be NO bubbles. When my '07 Accord had this problem though, it looked like freshly poured beer. :) My car would occasionally not steer at all for a second or two just after starting the engine. Replacing the inlet joint O-ring fixed that problem.

This part is not worth ordering online for. Here stateside it's about $1, so just get it from your local dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgot to ask, if there supposed to be something in the top of the reservoir? I can't remember from before... Just took the cap off and could see straight into the fluid

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if revving in neutral makes no difference, no bubbles or foam really. Slightly dark fluid. No difference in steering if the connector coming from the pump is disconnected.

What could the issue be?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I do also notice that the wheel gives a bit of a pulse sensation when turning it back and forth when stationary. Not sure the best way to describe it really!

·
Premium Member
431 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used the official Honda PSF.
Can I take the reservoir out and check the filter at the bottom?
Tempted to spend the £35-£50 it costs for a used pump and swap it over and see if it makes a difference with fully fresh PSF.

Is there is a better way to flush the system than using a turkey baster to suck it out bit by bit and only replacing a small amount each time?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
As what As3224a mentioned change the Inlet O-ring 1st. It could also be a clogged internal filter from the reservoir. You can completely flush the system by removing the outlet going to the reservoir & install a hose to a drain pan then cover or plug the return to the reservoir while someone sits inside while you fill the reservoir with the PSF. But 1st fix the heavy steering.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts