Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a feeling it does not get lighter when revving in neutral (I think I've tried it before) but I'll try it again tomorrow.
Not sure about the fluid, again, I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks!

Edit - yes I did use Honda PSF
and make sure you use Honda water to wash your CRV...regular water will cause it to disintegrate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2002 CRV with 99k miles on has quite heavy power steering, more so at lower speed. When parking it is tougher to use one hand to steer, it usually requires 2 hands. No whining from the power steering pump, I drained and refilled the reservoir about 4 times a while ago.

Any ideas? The pump is obviously original, looking at it. I'd love the car so much more if the steering was as light as I believe it should be at lower speeds!
I assume you've checked (manually) your tire pressures? Low tire pressure will indeed affect steering effort. I see everything else mentioned but not the obvious. I say "manually" check tire pressure. I always trust my tire pressure gage. I seldom trust TPM systems nor tire air pumps at service stations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I assume you've checked (manually) your tire pressures? Low tire pressure will indeed affect steering effort. I see everything else mentioned but not the obvious. I say "manually" check tire pressure. I always trust my tire pressure gage. I seldom trust TPM systems nor tire air pumps at service stations.
The pressures are all correct.
I am more frequently hearing a brief whine as the engine starts from cold, only for a second though. No noise when steering.
How clear should the fluid be? In the reservoir, mine looks dark-ish. It was changed a little while ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did also (just the once) when cold starting a couple of weeks ago, the car whined a lot when put into drive or reverse, got more as the engine speed increased. Not a belt squeal, a whine. It went away after 2-3 mins.
Also heard the same noise when sat at idle once, just started cold for about 2 mins.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When I changed the fluid, I emptied the reservoir and refilled it about 3 times I think. I used one 1L bottle. Maybe I didn't change it all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'll suck some of the fluid out tonight and see how dark it actually is. Can you easily check the filter at the bottom of the reservoir?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update. Pulled the reservoir out of the slot and the bottom hose is damp around the end and the clamp. Not losing any fluid though. Bottom of the tank did look dark though, like there was stuff in it.
Sucked some fluid up and it was quite dark with a few bits floating around in it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another update.... Emptied the reservoir and the screen at the bottom is NOT blocked. Fluid is reasonably dark, but not awful though.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
when you said its damp, is it the one going to the pump ? When the pump whines check the reservoir if the fluid is foaming,. If there is a leak of the hose going into the pump from the reservoir the pump will whine because it's also sucking in air too at the same time. But it won't leak to the outside of the hose as it has vacuum going to the pump instead of pressure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ordinarily, if the pump was sucking air and if the pump was good, you should hear a buzzing/whining sound as the air is cavitating in the pump. If the fluid was very dark before you changed it and you changed it because of the hard steering, the damage could already be done. Before the fluid turned dark it should've been replaced. A common practice is to just replace the reservoir if you suspect the mesh screen at the bottom is "gunked up". It's relatively cheap here (about $20) for a new one. I suspect the pump is worn out though, since it is 18 years old and everything is original.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
How light should the steering at parking speeds be in these?
I expect you're right about the pump being old and worn out....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Local garages want £400 at least to put a new pump in, I expect it's £500+. I can get either a used one (£50) or a new non-oem one for £100 and fit myself. It doesn't looks particularly difficult.
I see you can either buy them with or without the pulley attached. Is it a straight swap over if I get one without a pulley and just put my current pulley on it? Or is it advised to get the whole unit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Local garage have quoted £322.50 to change the pump. If that's OEM, then that's a good price.
The thing is, if the steering was lighter and easier to use, I'd keep the car for years as I love it. But as it is, it puts me off of it quite a lot!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Interestingly, I listened to some pumps whining on YouTube and the sound I've heard a few times lately is Not that sound. Mine is more of a very high pitched whine. I suppose a bit like a belt noise.
Could it be tensioner/belt related?
I have no noises or issues with the a/c or electrics.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts