Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked everywhere but have not been able to find a definite answer. I just noticed that today, with the windows down that there is a noise coming from the rear left and it sounds like a train (or a bad tire). I only hear it while I am moving and the noise becomes faster as I accelerate. There doesn't seem to be any effect on performance or handling, just a rather annoying sound. Going around corners seemed to make the sound a bit louder but with the engine noise and noise from the wind I may have thought it was louder when it wasn't.

Does anyone have an idea of what it may be? I'm guessing either something with the brakes or the bearings.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Put that tire on another part of the car. If the sound follows, it is the cause. If it does not, it could be the brakes or bearing.
While you're at it, check to make sure you have fluid in the rear diffy. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just came back from the garage - it's a broken backing plate. Both the backing plates are rusty and one was broken and rubbing against the brake. So now they just need to be replaced and is unfortunately a lot of money for a piece of metal.:(

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You could probably get away with bending it back or if it is too bad cutting it off. Disc brakes generally don't need it. It is just to keep the dirt off of it, but some say it helps keep water from splashing up there or helps with air flow for cooling.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
You could probably get away with bending it back or if it is too bad cutting it off. Disc brakes generally don't need it. It is just to keep the dirt off of it, but some say it helps keep water from splashing up there or helps with air flow for cooling.
In this case the backing plate is more than just a splash sheild.

The parking brake shoes are attached to it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Oops. Forgot about the parking brake. Was just thinking these aren't drum brakes so it should be fine.

Is it actually broken or did it just come loose? Apparently Jeeps have issues with the rivets pulling out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts