Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any suggestions that might increase my gas mileage. I don't do bad but am looking to try and improve anyway I can.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jim, do you have a manual or auto? what kind of mileage are you seeing?
Tire air pressure and air filter would be a good start. I've always been cautious with additives like SeaFoam, but I'm a relative newbie.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Seafoam helps clean the injectors. Personally, I like other things like Chevron's Techron for injector cleaning. I dump in a bottle every 6 months or so. I do use Seafoam on my motorcycles for fuel stabilization and carb cleaning qualities. Also in my lawnmower/snowblower

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably drive 65-70% highway during the week and get usually 23 miles to the gallon. With 100%highway I have gotten as high as 27(and as low as 24) but that is rare. My car is an automatic. What air pressure do you recommend.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Highway mileage on my 98 auto was declining, from ~27 a few years ago down to ~23. I use Techron twice a year, keep tires inflated, filters good etc, but on advice from this group I tried 2 cans of Seafoam. I was skeptical but it worked. Mileage is back about 27. I'm not sure what the Seafoam did that the Techron didn't. Maybe it was the 2 can dose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to confirm: You're running two full cans of 'foam into ONE tank of gas? I just bought a used '01 V w/215k and my mileage is a piss poor 15.5. Just had timing belt and water pump done as well as a new air filter so I'm monitoring to see if that helped but I also plan on hitting it w/Seafoam (added to the fuel tank) this weekend.

Also: Ever done it through the brake booster/throttle body? I've seen it on YouTube and read about it on a DIY site. Also I believe that's what the directions on the can say to do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just to confirm: You're running two full cans of 'foam into ONE tank of gas? I just bought a used '01 V w/215k and my mileage is a piss poor 15.5. Just had timing belt and water pump done as well as a new air filter so I'm monitoring to see if that helped but I also plan on hitting it w/Seafoam (added to the fuel tank) this weekend.

Also: Ever done it through the brake booster/throttle body? I've seen it on YouTube and read about it on a DIY site. Also I believe that's what the directions on the can say to do.
Yes I have, and a day later it will give you the dreded PO0420 code for the converter to be replaced, but it will give you the same code if you have a vac leak........ with the car off, go under the hood and locate the fuse block and pull the ecm fuse and replace a minute later and all is well again Been there, done that!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts