Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2002 Honda CRV that over heated on me and I found that the radiator fans were not turning on. I jumped the radiator fan switch connector and was able to turn on the fans. After replacing the radiator that got ruined from overheating/being old and putting in a new radiator fan switch (not oem) the fans still won't turn on.

I know there is a good chance my new radiator fan switch is bad but I was wondering about something. When I turn on the A/C the fans do NOT turn on. Is it possible I have another issue preventing my fans from coming on even if they come on after jumping that connector?

I'm not concerned with getting the A/C working at this time. Just wondering why the fans won't come on when the A/C is activated.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
If the fans don't come on with the a/c then there is another issue. Perhaps blown fuses and/or bad relays. Both are found in the under-hood fuse box. A diagram for what is what might be on the inside of the top cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I switched the fuses with new ones and switched the relays around. Wouldn't a bad fuse or relay prevent the fans from coming on when the fan temp switch connect is jumped as well?

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
425 Posts
was the radiator leaking? because any leaks could have put an air pocket into the system and caused the thermostat to not open. the coolant has to get up to 200F at the bottom of the radiator to ground the driver side fan relay ,the PCM will ground both fan relays with a properly functioning ac system running they should cycle with the AC compressor ,here's some info that should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have had Honda radiator fan motors go bad without blowing a fuse. It would be nice to check out how many amps your fan motors take on startup when you make the jump. You could be in the time frame where to motors are starting to die, but not dead yet.

i agree with ms3224a, sometimes reusing things lead you down the wrong way because multiple things are bad.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A scanner will shed light on the issue. You can see live data and with bidirectional control turn on fans too to check circuitry

·
Registered
258 Posts
A scanner will shed light on the issue. You can see live data and with bidirectional control turn on fans too to check circuitry
curious as to what scan tool platform you are using? I’m running launch x431. on my 03, IIRC, I was able to see the live data for AC control, AC clutch, and fans (from radiator fan switch activation), but the scanner said my 03 crv did not support bidirectional activation of the fans. I was sad. :(

·
Registered
575 Posts
Snapon on an 05 I can do stuff. Can't speak for a 02, but should be able to see data as to temp , fan on , etc

I could turn on a 93 Infiniti fans with obd1 back in the day with generic obd1 program. That issue (no fan) was caused by a corroded temp sensor that had the ECM thinking the engine was under temperature to turn them on. Changed sensor and fans worked great again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts