Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Scouting around for a 2002-2003 CRV and was wondering if you guys had any information that I should be aware of?

It's my understanding that, 2002> models have a Timing Chain rather than a Timing belt... is this true? If so, is it for all 2002+ models? How do I tell if it has the chain or belt? Can you tell from the VIN number?

Obviously because of its age, they could have high KMs (200k +) ... is there anything that is known to go wrong or anything I should look out for due to the high KMs ?

How cheap exactly are HONDA spare parts? I do hear that Hondas are expensive to service/repair.. though I'm not sure if that's due to the parts or labor involved. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and tinkering under the hood if required.

Do i need to use HONDA OEM parts/fluids? Are aftermarket oils, filters, fluids, bearings etc.. ok?

The only real issue I've come across during research is the potential of the AC Compressor failing. has anyone replaced this with an aftermarket AC compressor.. or replaced the compressor themselves? How difficult was it ?

Any tips, feedback etc.. would be great.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
868 Posts
Howdy.

Timing chain for sure. I had a 2003. Put over 200K km's on it. Sold it in 2011 to a neighbor's son. See it every week. Almost 300K km's on now. No problems yet. Even A/C still working fine. Mine was made in Japan. As far as I know, UK built seem to have a few more problems.

Honda fluid for rear end for sure. Other than that, no experience buying and using parts. Except wiper blades. Always bought Honda refills.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Drivezki is right it has timing chain rather than belt. If you can get the 2003 would be better as I remember some 2002 1st year model have problem with timing chain stretching. Up to year 2006 are made in Japan. If you are going to get the 4wd version the rear diff will only take Honda Dual Pump fluid, nothing else. For power steering fluid its different compared to other makes its almost close to Hydraulic fluid. You can get aftermarket brand like Bardhal for Honda/Acura PS fluid. Other than those 2 fluids you can use any other fluid. Except for the tranny. You can use Valvoline Maxlife or Amsoil or OEM Honda ATF fluid. I agree with Drivezki to save you money & the environment buy the refills. Good luck on hunting for a V! Also check the bottom for rusting! Let us know.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
The 2002 - 2004 were known to have A/C compressor problems, FWIW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys :)

Forgot to mention, I'm from Australia, not sure if they makes a difference or not on the models.. dont think so, they all would be imported from overseas anyways?

I'll keep an eye out for a 2003 model, though i've mostly only seen 2002 models in my budget. I was also leaning towards the 'Sport' version too rather than the standard.. which really limits search results.

The issue with timing chain stretch, you wouldnt happen to know the symptoms of a possible stretched chain? I'll be looking around for local (to the car) Honda mechanics to see if I can get a proper test, though would be good to have an idea just in-case :)

Regarding the A/C issue.. didn't later models have the issue too.. upto 2008 even? I thought I also read other Honda cars (not just CRV) has A/C problems too.. could be wrong though.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the feedback :)

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
In the USA, an "improved" compressor was fitted starting late 2004. Vs that have been repaired in the past 10 years **should** have this fix. (Can't say if the repairs were done aftermarket, though)

Gen3 Vs had a problem with the A/C clutch.

If any V you are looking at looks clean through the oil fill hole (indicating that oil was replaced regularly) the TC is probably not a concern. The ECU will throw a CEL if crank and cam timing are too far askew (would have to look the code up).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback :)

I came across an ad for a 2005 model.. similar pricing as what people are advertising some 2002 models for.. so not sure if it's priced very well or somthing's wrong with it (will contact seller).. however... reading up on the specs for the 05', I read it comes with 'Drive-by-wire'.. some sort of computer controlled throttle system.. wondering if anyone had thoughts on this system???

... I've always been more towards that direct cable from the accelerator pedal > throttle body as I feel the computerized throttle control would have an annoying lag to it.. is this the case here?

Thanks again :)

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
No, there is no lag as long as the slack between the gas pedal and throttle sensor is removed.

The drive-by-wire hardware is what enabled Honda to implement VSA (traction control).

·
Registered
693 Posts
i have a 2005. Its not bad. I am not sure if it was still effected by the a/c issue that the 2002-2004 years had, but at 210k I decided it wouldn't hurt to overhaul the whole A/c system, along with timing chain, rear diff oil, tranney fluid, added a magnafine filter, and a few other things. I got my car for ~4000 after tax and registration. I put in another 1k to get it running up to my standards. Also did a few mods here and there. You can check out my build thread.

The 5 spd transmission in the 2005-2006 gets better gas millage and feels more responsive. DBW is not an issue since I am used to honda system in my other modified car.

For a 2005 model with decent mileage I would say 5-6k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts