Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my tranny fluid changed out (with Honda fluid), also had rear diff grease changed with honda fluid and a new drive shaft installed.

Now I hear a (not too loud) howling noise when I accelerate in a straight line. The howl is only noticeable as the vehicle approaches the shift point to 2nd gear.

Cannot duplicate sound in neutral.... I have to be moving and accelerating.

Honda tranny fluid was replaced with the new type fluid that is supposed to be backwards compatable.

I inclined to think the new drive shaft is out of balance , but it seems like it would happen in other gears as well.

Any relevant thoughts?? (besides turn my radio up!)

thanks,
Jack

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
Your noise is not unheard of. <--- didn't mean to be ironic, LOL

I think @buffalo4 had it for years with no consequence.

Stiff driveshaft u-joints cause a vibration at certain speeds no matter what gear, so I don't think it's that.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Did you burnish the clutches of the differential. You have to make a figure eight with the car I think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you burnish the clutches of the differential. You have to make a figure eight with the car I think.
thanks umair! Will making a figure 8 burnish the gears? or is this something the mechanic should have done internally??
Just thought it was weird that it did not make this sound until the differential grease was replace (was honda grease of course).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your noise is not unheard of. <--- didn't mean to be ironic, LOL

I think @buffalo4 had it for years with no consequence.

Stiff driveshaft u-joints cause a vibration at certain speeds no matter what gear, so I don't think it's that.
thanks carbuf! will search posts by buffalo4

jp

·
Registered
901 Posts
You have to do a lot of tight turns in a parking lot both ways left and right. Then you have to change the fluid again.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The howling may have nothing to do with the rear differential.
It is very possible that the new driveshaft installation or improper fluid level or type is causing the howl. Was the howl there before the fluids and driveshaft were changed?

The new Honda DW-1 atf is a better fluid than the old Honda Z-1. Make sure you check the level of the atf to make sure it is at or near the top mark. Should be checked with the vehicle level, atf at operating temp and within a minute after turning OFF the engine for the most accurate level indication.

Usually the noise you hear that burnishing can help is a screech, rubbing or scraping sound when doing slow tight turns.
However if you want to do the burnishing, it is as follows: (the below is just from memory and not from the Service Manual).
The burnishing procedure is basically doing very slow,tight (almost wheel lock) turns on pavement. About 6 circles in each direction and repeated several times. AFAIK.
You may not have to change the fluid again,if the noise goes away, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.
The rear differential doesn't use grease, it uses a much thinner fluid which is called Honda Dual Pump Fluid II.
http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-08200-9007-Differential-Fluid/dp/B005ETCYYC and it has a wt similar to atf.

It is the ONLY fluid I have heard of that does the job properly.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Buffalo4!

I did check the tranny fluid and it is perfect. It was changed and cycled 4 times with DW-1 at a transmission shop. I took the fluids to them and they give me back what little was left.

Also, used the honda Dual pump II diff fluid.

Didn't howl before.

Its my daughter's car and I only drove it about a mile. Will drive again on Sunday and hoping everything has settled down and try the wheel turn procecure.

thanks again!
jp

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
Stop wasting money changing/flushing oils. its most likely the driveshaft, (u joint, center bearing)
you had no noise before the driveshaft change.
As a diagnostic, the driveshaft can be removed to see if the howl remains. Won't hurt to run the V as front wheel drive for a while.

I've never heard of a howl from the driveshaft, though, as I said. Unless there is some info we are missing. (As in, was it a new or used replacement driveshaft, or were the u joints only replaced)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update -

Just drove the 02 crv again. Howl still there , but seems a little quieter.

Only howls when I hit 2000 rpm and the quickly disapears at 2100.

Does not howl in neutral at 2000.

Did tight turns and figure eights. Made no difference.

Tranny fluid was changed and cycled 4 times with Honda fluid.
Rear diff was drained and replace with Honda dual pump II.

Drive train was ordered from:
http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/Honda_CRV_Drive_Shaft.php

and installed by a transmission shop that I trust.

Howling seems to come from center of car. Doesn't seem to be getting worse. And is not that loud or that annoying. Just concerned cause it was not there before.

Any theories would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Jack

ps - I also adjusted valves and replaced valve cover gasket before I took it in. Did not howl on the was over to tranny shop though.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I would ask one of their mechanics to ride with you so that he can hear it and possibly help diagnose it.
Perhaps it will make that noise on one of their hoists while it is in Drive and at around 2000 rpm.
Hopefully it is not the rear bearing in the tranny. :eek:

Carbuff2s idea on removing the driveshaft for troubleshooting purposes has a lot of merit.

Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
Originally you said the howl occurs as you approach 2nd gear shift.

Now, you mention that the RPM is at 2000.

Is it possible to see if holding the trans in first or third at 2000 RPM replicates the noise.

Is it possible the howl is a rattling exhaust heat shield (could have been broken during driveshaft installation).

There is also an old problem of a trans mount shifting/out of place, causing noise....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Carbuff!

Do you mean hold the brake down and give it gas and see if howl occurs at 2000 rpm while the car is in gear but not moving??

If howl does occur then that would rule out drive shaft and/or tranny?

And it does howl right before it shifts to first but that is usually right around 2000 rpm, I notice it also happens any time I hit 2000 rpm in all gears.

It doesn't seem to be related to the shift points , but more to rpm's of the engine.

Anyway, taking it in on Monday and seeing what they say.

Could just be cause it is a cheap drive shaft. 300 bucks.

Jack

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the crv in yesterday.
Tech road with me , and said he thought it was the air box sucking air.

hmmm.

Anyway, he thought the tranny and shaft sounded fine.. said it shifted fine and did not think there was a problem with the tranny, drive shaft or diff.

Looked for leak on the air box... but didn't see anything suspect.

Had me step on brake and hold engine at 2000 rpm while he snooped around air box.

I will say the howl does seem to be quieter. I;m guessing it was the new univeral joints on the ends of the drive shaft breaking in.

If it gets worse I will take it back in.

Oh yeah, he also said my drive shaft looked high quality and seemed surprised I found it for 300 bucks.

time will tell.

Jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts