Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ever post:
17-year old driving an 16-year old car. I love my CRV. The check engine light is on and it wont pass state emissions now. I have had two codes cleared thru the local mechanic and the third was cleared thru the Honda dealership (via TSB04-013). I drove it for one day to reset the monitors and now the light is back on. The dealership is now pointing to valve adjustment causing it to code P0171. $480 is what they want to adjust the valves. 145,000 miles.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is it a repair my Dad and I can tackle?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Valve adjustment is not something you should ever attempt doing if you are not very accustomed to working on engines and have had some guidance from someone that knows engines.

It's not hard, but ther eis a very serious need for attention to detail. One mistake can turn into an expensive repair.

No need to take it to a dealership though. $480 to set lash on these engines is beyond stupid. Takes 30 minutes for an experienced tech. An hour for any mechanic worth paying any money too. Last one I did on mine took me 25 minutes (but I have cordless inpacts to take things apart to get valve cover off in under 5 minutes).

Valves are possibly due to be adjusted but if they are causing a code it means it has not been done as required for the engine.

A lean code also is not solely caused by valve lash. A vacuum leak is the most common one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts