Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly my daughter got rear ended in our 99 Crv that was supposed to last her all through high school and college but it was totaled. So we found her an 02 that seems to run and drive great with 160K miles on it. I noticed today it was 2 quarts low on oil with 3K miles remaining before the next oil change. I was shocked. Our old crv with the 2.0 engine used some old but not bad. I also recall the valves needed adjusting every 80K or so. I’m just wondering if this newer 2.4 Vtec engine also requires valve adjustments, and if oil consumption is typical?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yes it needs valve adjustments. And depends on how long between oil changes. Good chance it's not consuming it, its leaking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,713 Posts
Teach your daughter how to check fluids under the hood!

While you are at it, teach her how and when to check tire pressures. And have her change a tire for 'practice'. :applause::angel2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the valves today and they weren’t that bad. Out of 16 valves I may of adjusted 5 or 6. A few exhaust side were tight, and a few intakes were loose. It is noticeably quieter. Can’t really tell any performance difference. The plugs looked pretty Shot so I changed those out too.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
until the computer relearns your not going to notice any difference. Takes a few drives before computer locks in the new settings.

·
Registered
895 Posts
You can speed up the relearn by disconnecting the battery for a while to clear the adaptive values. Make it relearn from base values.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
that wont speed it up at all. Still takes the same amount of time for the computer to learn the new parameters and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ok. Do what you want.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sadly my daughter got rear ended in our 99 Crv that was supposed to last her all through high school and college but it was totaled. So we found her an 02 that seems to run and drive great with 160K miles on it. I noticed today it was 2 quarts low on oil with 3K miles remaining before the next oil change. I was shocked. Our old crv with the 2.0 engine used some old but not bad. I also recall the valves needed adjusting every 80K or so. I’m just wondering if this newer 2.4 Vtec engine also requires valve adjustments, and if oil consumption is typical?
Keep a eye on it for the next few oil changes. The oil consumption can vary. Mine is the same.
Check the seals if you can.
There are times when mine consumes a lot and I need to top it up. There are times when I don't need to do anything.

This site can help calculate what service is needed next.
https://www.honda.ca/owners/honda-services/maintenance-calculator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts