Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,
This is my first post on here so please let me know if I am asking this in the wrong section. I just picked up my CRV with 130,000. I decided to check the valves partly because they are noisy and partly because it is suppose to be done at 100K. I did the job and noticed my valves are loose. They are tight. But about half of them have a little play in them. I can take my finger and pull them up. It isn't much. only about 1/32 '' or so, but judging by the .008 clearance on the intake valves and .010-.012 on the exhaust valves I'm guessing it is an issue. I'm gonna have to go back and check, but what should I be looking for. My first guess is the springs are weak. Would that be a big pain to change on the springs? Also with the valve cover off I noticed scouring on some portions of the overhead camshaft (not sure of the name... The shaft that the valves are connected to). One other quick question, I have a Haynes manual and it is decent but I find it has too much information that is not needed for my vehicle. Anyone prefer another manual?

thanks

Greg

·
Everything in Moderation
7,903 Posts
First off, the factory HELMS INC manual is best. Look for a used one on Ebay.

Valve springs have not been an issue on the early 2.4L engine. So that comes down to the condition of your engine.

Could you provide a pic of the engine's top end with the valve cover removed? A close up of the scoring on the cam lobes would be nice also. Was the inside clean or did it have a lot of crusty deposits (indicating a lack of maintenance)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts