Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exploding CRV compressor is well publicised and the one in my 110,000 mile CRV packed up last summer on a run back from Cornwall. However I am posting my experience here as it seems unusual. The AC just stopped working - no noises, screeching or bangs. Having got a spanner to the compressor spindle (no easy task ) it appears to be seized solid although did not explode. However if it had just seized I would have expected the serpentine belt to have started squealing when the pulley stopped rotating or the fuse to the clutch coil to have blown - which would have released the clutch. But the pulley is able to rotate freely and the clutch coil did not blow. So since then I have just continued to run the car - although removed the compressor fuse as precaution. I have had the AC system emptied (no swarf noted) and plan to remove the compressor in a few weeks time to see if the seize actually filled the AC system with swarf - or to see if I got lucky. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar experience with the compressor and what the outcome was? Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi lightwizard- compressor is not seized -probably coil in compressor clutch has gone open circuit so clutch wont engage.there is a relay which sends 12v to clutch to engage it-you can pull relay and measure resistance back through clutch coil to see if it is open -mine did that -I bought a compressor clutch kit off ebay for about $110 and its been fine for last 2 years now -a bit of work to change it -theres a diy somewhere on this site, good luck, Bob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bobcat20. Thanks for your reply. The bolt on the end of the compressor is presumably connected to the compressor shaft and will not budge - which is why I concluded it is seized?

·
Registered
111 Posts
lightwizard- I see what you are saying now- maybe clutch coil burned out trying to engage sticking compressor shaft -it does seem like you should be able to turn shaft with a socket on end (I remember it being about a 10 or 12mm nut) so if you cant then you are probably correct.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts