Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a power steering leak for a month or so. When I fixed the leak I washed the belt with kitchen soap. Just let it sit in the sink and then let it air dry. Then I cleaned the pulley grooves. I used simple green and a paper towel. I think I should go back and clean the grooves out with a brush. I am have belt noise. It sounds like a bearing but hard to pin point. My question is if there is dirt in the grooves could that be a cause of the noise. When the ac compressor comes on the engine starts vibrating even more. When it cuts off it isn't as bad. Also I was thinking that maybe the belt is swollen which I believe would create too much friction on the pulleys. I also am suspecting the side motor mount is bad... in the morning at cold start I get a nasty growling noise in reverse but only when it is cold. Read that could be the mount. I had some suggestion about the stethoscope and I'm going to get one this weekend and listen around a bit. Particularly I want to listen to the power steering pump. I had done some work and it ran dry. I'm a newbie and forgot to prime the pump before starting so maybe that is the cause. When I grab the high pressure steering hose I can feel a cyclical knock in it. then when the compressor comes on it gets way worse. Maybe it is all normal and I'm just paranoid.

I did recently do a valve adjustment. I ended up having to do it twice to double check my work. I did noticed that there is scouring to the left and right of a few of the cam lobes. I had an idea that maybe maybe the timing chain is a little off and that is why it isn't functioning correctly with correctly adjusted valves. I looked at the chain and the holes lined up correctly, but I didn't check the other side of the shaft. I didn't know until later there are markings there.

Next plan of attack is the IACV

1. Can a belt covered in power steering fluid for a month get swollen and cause excess vibration on my engine?
2. Will gunk in the pulley grooves cause excess engine vibration.
3. How do you inspect the side motor mount? I read they typically collapse but to me visually it looks fine.

Right now I have a rough idle when stopped. Really it doesn't bother per say.... I just don't want to stand by and let the vibration damage something else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed it out. The belt was definitely swollen. I could tell a little by how it sit on the pulley but when I took it off and compared it side by side it was definitely a little bigger. Also I noticed on the water pump there was sticky stuff all over. Cleaned every pulley with a nylon brush and brake clean. It runs a little better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts