Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm have an issue I am working through with my belt/components. Sounds like a bearing is out. The only one I noticed was a little loose was the water pump pulley; had a little play in it. Whenever I turn the ac on I get a heavy vibration on the engine and kinda feel a knocking type of sound (I think to be bearings of the water pump). the knock noise is always there but much more prominent with the ac on... that's why I was thinking it could be the water pump pulley. There is probably about 1/16" of wiggle in it. the compressor pulley spins fine and has no play in it, not sure how to check and verify the clutch is good. Also possibly related there is a rhythmic ticking noise that sounds like a relay coming on and off only when the compressor is on.

If it isn't the water pump I was thinking the power steering pump.

Also I recently got a rebuilt power steering pump. My pump had a bad bearing and the guy replaced it. I was told I would keep my same pump but I wasn't sure. My original pump was natural aluminum color or whatever the stock pump was. When he installed my pump it was black. The tech told me it was mine and that they paint all their pumps black so they know they did it (I thought this was a load of bologna but not sure). Afterwards I was doing my first valve adjustment and decided to do it with the power steering high pressure hose off. Well during the adjustment the power steering pump went dry because I was spinning it (it was stupid of me. Got PS fluid everywhere. In my defense it was my first ever valve adjustment). Well when I patched everything up I didn't think to put fluid directly in the power steering pump. I just started it and watched the fluid to make sure it wouldn't go dry. Is it possible I could have damaged the pump starting the car with no fluid directly in the pump. There was fluid in the reservoir just not in the actual pump.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also the AC works great. No issues.

So I'm leaning towards the water pump or my pump. When I spin the pump it sounds and feels fine. I was thinking it could be the pump. Not sure but when I put my hand on the pump it feels like it is the pump that is making the knocking noise but figure it could be almost anything along the belt.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope everyone's day is going well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd normally say it's the water pump rather than the power steering, but you have an interesting story there that puts a kink in that suggestion. Then I'd say the water pump is probably due soon anyway so replace it and see what happens, but of course that's a heck of a job. So now I'm wondering if a $15 mechanics stethoscope would be a good investment that might point you to the real culprit.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
You can narrow down the source of the noise with a mechanic's stethoscope (or by holding a length of hose or tubing to your ear and pointing it near each pulley). BE CAREFUL AROUND THE RUNNING ENGINE, though. :eek:

Myself, I'd pop off the serpentine belt and 'caress' each idler and component separately.

A good component will work smoothly. If it feels 'rough' (little bits of high resistance, especially when biased side-to-side), or if you can hear a noise under the same conditions, it is a candidate for replacement.

Note that in order to test the A/C compressor (which has been problematic in your year V) you need to apply 12V to the clutch on the pulley.

I don't think you damaged the PS pump. But next time, spin the engine by the crank pulley.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a question about the belt. I had a power steering leak for a few weeks. Fluid got all over the belt. After about a month or so I fixed the leak and washed the belt with soap and water and tried to clean the pulleys. My question is do belts swell if they are covered in oil? I had an idea that if it swelled up the extra drag would be significant enough to create some shaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts