Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda CR-V LX 5M/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone here know anything about rear fog lamps for the second gen? At the very bottom of the taillights there appears to be a spot where they could go, but I'm not certain. If anyone has any ideas or has done this themselves (or has a mkII CR-V in a country that rear fog lamps are required) please let me know!

Thanks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Rear fog lights are required in Europe. The bottom section of the rear cluster houses one (driver's side) or two (both sides), depending on the car.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CR-V LX 5M/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear fog lights are required in Europe. The bottom section of the rear cluster houses one (driver's side) or two (both sides), depending on the car.
Fantastic, thank you for the insight confirming what I researched. I have another question, if that's alright.

Do the rear facing fog lamps come on with the forward facing ones, controlled by one switch, or do they operate on their own circuit/switch? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Separate switch or in combination of front fogs. As the reas are mandatory there's always a rear fog light switch. Fronts are optional so there may or may not be. Most stalk-operated switches work the same ways as in the CR-V:

The inner switch is for the fogs. The fog light switch in my picture is in FRONT ON setting. Turning it more forward activates the rears and returns to the pictured position. In case you want to turn on the rears only you turn it towards you from the FRONT OFF position and the ring returns to the FRONT OFF position. There's an amber indicator with a straight fog beam through the fog lighting up in the cluster indicating you have the rears on. The front fog indicator is green with a dipped beam through the fog.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CR-V LX 5M/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Separate switch or in combination of front fogs. As the reas are mandatory there's always a rear fog light switch. Fronts are optional so there may or may not be. Most stalk-operated switches work the same ways as in the CR-V:

The inner switch is for the fogs. The fog light switch in my picture is in FRONT ON setting. Turning it more forward activates the rears and returns to the pictured position. In case you want to turn on the rears only you turn it towards you from the FRONT OFF position and the ring returns to the FRONT OFF position. There's an amber indicator with a straight fog beam through the fog lighting up in the cluster indicating you have the rears on. The front fog indicator is green with a dipped beam through the fog.
Thank you so much! This helps a lot. Now just to source a switch from a European mkII CR-V. :)

·
Registered
2003 Honda CR-V LX 5M/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, so as soon as the quarantine is over, I'll be able to source more parts for this project. But, I will keep this thread updated as a sort of build guide.

Things you will need:
  • Spare reverse bulb socket and matching bulb.
  • Dremel, drill, other cutting implements, along with a file.
  • Switch to activate rear fog lamps. (I will be using Honda Part #M18620 TS19 with rear fog switch.)
  • Some relay, will need to figure out which one.
  • Some fuse, will need to do math to find correct one.
  • Great length of wire loom protector, probably exceeding 3 meters.
  • Spare pins for the connector to headlamp stalk.
  • Solder and iron.
  • Some wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, etc. I will update when I find out what sizes.
  • Some ignition switched source of 12v power.
Here is a photo of how the reverse lamp socket matches with where the rear fog should be. (The photo to the left is flipped upside down, no clue why.)

And here's a photo of where the rear fog lamp will be installed.

Right below the reverse reflector.

Also, I will need to find a way to indicate the the rear fog lamp is on. Perhaps drilling a small hole next to the switch and inserting an LED. But that sounds horrifically tedious.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I wonder if your instrument cluster has a rear fog light LED placeholder printed. You could just put a LED there. Should be next to front the fog light indicator.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CR-V LX 5M/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if your instrument cluster has a rear fog light LED placeholder printed.
That's a good idea, I'll need to pull the cluster and shine a light behind it and see if I see one, thanks!

·
Registered
701 Posts
You might see it with a flashlight head on, no need to pull the cluster. You should see all indicator light locations this way.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CR-V LX 5M/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might see it with a flashlight head on, no need to pull the cluster. You should see all indicator light locations this way.
No luck. I did what you said and, while I could see a few things, I didn't see a rear fog symbol. I'll have to make one, I suppose.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If wondering, I installed extra rear lights on my wife's 2014 CRV. They are LED RED and installed on a manual switch - with little green LED light. For more details, surf my post and pictures within: Gen 4 aftermarket upgrades

Perhaps the same (similar) simple DIY install can be installed (as rear fog lights) on your CRV as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts