Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping my dad with his 2003 Honda CRV.

Last week the P1259 code came on while he was on his way to work, and the car would shutter around 3000 rpm.

At first we assumed the shuttering was due to transmission problems. First thing I did was do a flush and fill on the tranny. Of course this didn't fix the situation.

We took it to a local auto shop. They replaced the VTEC Solenoid Assembly on the back side of the engine between the engine and the firewall. They also removed the oil pressure sensor on the passenger side of the engine and cleaned it. They reported that the VTEC Solenoid Assembly was very full of carbon, as well as the oil pressure sensor. Due to the amount of carbon in everything, they added half a can of sea foam and suggested running the engine for a while and then changing the oil again.

We purchased the car from a small car lot about 6 weeks ago. The oil had been changed, but I suspected they likely used standard 10w30 dinosaur oil, instead of the 5w20 synthetic the car calls for. While the car was at the shop I asked them to also change the oil to the correct oil spec and type.

The P1259 code still comes back on. It seems to do ok as long as the car is cold, but as soon as the engine is up to temp, the light comes on and the shudder returns.

I spoke to the shop who worked on it and they said unfortunately they aren't really sure what else it could be and advised taking it to a Honda Dealer for further diagnosis. I'll be honest, money is an issue here, and I don't really have the cash to take it to a dealer shop.

1. Is there anything else this could be caused by that I can clean or replace?

2. Is there a way to temporarily disable the VTEC Solenoid in order to prevent the shuddering so that my father can continue to drive the car for a while, while it has the seafoam in it so the carbon gets broken down?

3. Beyond setting the car on fire and walking away from it, is there anything else we can do?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that I do have an OBD2 scanner, and have cleared the code numerous times. We've let the car sit and idle for quite a while, hoping that letting it idle at temperature will help break down the carbon in the system. As the shop explained it to us, there was just a lot of carbon and it likely clogged up a screen or something somewhere causing this issue, which is why they added the seafoam.

Could the addition of the seafoam to the oil cause enough of a change in the oil weight that it is causing this problem? Should we change the oil again?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever get your CRV fix? I have an 02 CRV with the exact same problem with 209k miles on it. I cleaned the valve assembly rotary multiple times, replaced the VTech solenoid, replaced Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve but not the solenoid yet. I haven't not also replaced the oil pressure sensor yet. I am just tired of putting time and money on this vehicle and couldn't solve the problem. I have the P1259 and P1078.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That is why mechanics exist, unless it's a crappy shop they are there to fix vehicles and know how to diagnose/fix problems. DIY like this as your seeing is costing you more money and time than taking it to a shop would have cost.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
446 Posts
without looking at some data it's hard to diagnose ,here is a screen shot of what it will look like to diagnose it ,VTEC pressure switch on and VTEC solenoid valve off they should never read the same off or on,when the valve opens it should instantly go to off on the pressure switch , if it don't go to off it is either a bad VTEC pressure switch which is most common or wiring or a bad solenoid or low oil pressure or the screen is restricted or very low on oil but that should have been checked already I hope,also the aftermarket China parts will fail or be bad right out of the box I went through that myself ,only use OE Honda parts , note some of the parts on Ebay or Amazon with a Honda label or packaging is counterfeit so either the dealer or Honda online is recommended

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts