Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2003 CRV auto fluid

387 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Carbuff2
I have 2003 CRV with 147k miles. What CVT transmission fluid should I use? Honda DW-1 or Honda CVTF? Thanks for any input...
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,747 Posts
Welcome to the CRVOC forum. Many fine folks here from around the globe. Click on your Avatar in the upper right hand corner, --> Account Settings. Complete information for your vehicle, then hit Save. In this manner, that vital piece of information automatically appears every time you post. There are 6 generations of the V on the road today. Knowing the year & trim level of the vehicle in question greatly aids you seeking information & aids those willing to offer.

Here in the States, the 2003 had a 5 speed automatic transmission. CVTs were not introduced until the Gen5 vehicles, around 2016. Are you having any problems with yours?

If you are not sure when the transmission fluid was last changed, do a 3x drain-and-fill. Drain out old fluid, refill with new, drive for several miles. Drain-fill-drive 2 more times. After the 3rd drain-and-fill, measure the amount of fluid & adjust accordingly. Your transmission should now have approx 90% new fluid, which is about all that you can hope for unless you do a complete tear-down and reassemble.

· Registered
129 Posts
I ususally use Valvoline Multi Vehicle ATF. It meets Honda spec and works very well. I usually replace one drain full every 6 months or so and my fluid stays clean and works very well. I also used it when I found that I had used the wrong fluid and the o-rings became swollen, this was after a "flush" by a pro mechanic that apparently didn't realize the oil was important. So, I swear by it. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61A4niTW6RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Fluid Liquid Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system

· Registered
2003 Honda CRV 2wd LX automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the CRVOC forum. Many fine folks here from around the globe. Click on your Avatar in the upper right hand corner, --> Account Settings. Complete information for your vehicle, then hit Save. In this manner, that vital piece of information automatically appears every time you post. There are 6 generations of the V on the road today. Knowing the year & trim level of the vehicle in question greatly aids you seeking information & aids those willing to offer.

Here in the States, the 2003 had a 5 speed automatic transmission. CVTs were not introduced until the Gen5 vehicles, around 2016. Are you having any problems with yours?

If you are not sure when the transmission fluid was last changed, do a 3x drain-and-fill. Drain out old fluid, refill with new, drive for several miles. Drain-fill-drive 2 more times. After the 3rd drain-and-fill, measure the amount of fluid & adjust accordingly. Your transmission should now have approx 90% new fluid, which is about all that you can hope for unless you do a complete tear-down and reassemble.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for your inputs! I totally appreciate it! Here in the Philippines I just bought a used 2003 Honda CRV 2wd LX automatic with 238,000 kilometers or about 148,000 miles. It runs strong but I've noticed that the auto trans takes a while to shift up while driving at low speeds and I suspect leads to higher fuel consumption getting about 6 kilometers per liter or about 14 miles per gallon.

For those if you who have a gen2 CRV what kind of mileage do you get and do you think the fluid in the transmission is related to it?

Thanks again for all your advice! This forum is awesome!

· Registered
864 Posts
You need to check the dipstick and see the color and check the smell of the tranx fluid for burning smell or not. I would say if you can always depending on the conditions change every year or if you do alot of towing changing every 6 month at least will insure it stay clean. I will be changing mine this 2023 spring as I drive alot of highway miles not towing so it will be time for my change.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't care what anyone says, use Honda Trans fluid.
let other people be dumb
I agree with you! I have a question, my crv is high mileage with almost 240000 km, what do you think about transmission additives that claim to offer smoother shifting, better gas mileage, and extended life? I appreciate your thoughts!

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,557 Posts
"what do you think about transmission additives that claim to offer smoother shifting, better gas mileage, and extended life? "

SNAKE OIL. Some folks think they work (Google, Placebo Effect)
Others say they do nothing.

Folks that have done regular maintenance don't need them.

A good source for additive research is bobistheoilguy.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts