Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 CRV. Three years ago I had a problem with my RF half-shaft causing a vibration. The boot had become ripped and water was getting into the joint. I purchased an Oreillys half shaft as a replacement and later tried a NAPA half shaft. After each was installed, they caused a major vibration when installed by a professional mechanic. A new half shaft from Honda was $800 which I did not buy but leaves the question...would it cause a vibration like the Oreillys and NAPA half shafts and why were the Oreilly and NAPA half shafts causing the vibration. Honda's half shaft was about 4 times the price of Oreillys or NAPA's. Sooo, the mechanic rebuilt the old half shaft as best he could and it has lasted until now. The vibration is now back. What I can't figure out, is what is causing the vibration when the Oreillys or NAPA half shafts are installed?? Any ideas???

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Don't know specifically what causes the aftermarket shaft's vibration, but your experience is common.

Look for factory rebuilt half shafts, they will be more expensive than the ones you bought but owners have had better luck with them.

On Rock Auto, aftermarket drive shafts are $33 - $60 each, while Cardone rebuilt shafts are $130 - $143 ea. Honda factory rebuilds are $480 a side. "You spends your money, you takes your choice"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts