Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have tried to search the net but I haven't really found a good answer or troubleshooting guide.

The CRV overheats when stopped at a light or at traffic, I noticed the rad fan was not running, I swapped the relays, but still no luck, coolant level is good.

I tried turning on the AC and when I did that both fans kicked on right away.

So I am assuming the issue is with one of the sensors,

Here is where I get confused;

Some people say the sensor is in the engine block underneath the air filter.

Some say the sensor is underneath the rad.

I don't know the difference between the two sensors.

My Thermostat was just replaced last year, which is probably not the issue right?

There are no check engine codes/light.

Any information would be great, Thanks.

·
1,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I highly recommend you get yourself a Honda Factory Service Manual. I got mine off eBay, and it has easily paid for itself. Also, you can run a search here - there are lots of threads on this issue. Some other folks should be along directly with hints for your model. Keep us posted on how it goes. Here's a handy link to that manual from the same guy I got mine from:

2002 2003 2004 Honda Cr-V Shop Service Repair Manual CD | eBay

It contains extensive step-by-step troubleshooting and illustrated repair/replacement instructions for this issue and all others.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hello, I have tried to search the net but I haven't really found a good answer or troubleshooting guide.

The CRV overheats when stopped at a light or at traffic, I noticed the rad fan was not running, I swapped the relays, but still no luck, coolant level is good.

I tried turning on the AC and when I did that both fans kicked on right away.

So I am assuming the issue is with one of the sensors,

Here is where I get confused;

Some people say the sensor is in the engine block underneath the air filter.

Some say the sensor is underneath the rad.

I don't know the difference between the two sensors.

My Thermostat was just replaced last year, which is probably not the issue right?

There are no check engine codes/light.

Any information would be great, Thanks.
Check the youtube vid.
You can usually find the vid or answer you need by Googling.
Sometimes using the Search function in this forum also can help a lot.
Best of luck.
Buffalo4
PS: According to the vid in the link above, the radiator fan switch is in the bottom of the radiator area for your year CRV.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I watched the video. Toward the end, the guy said Honda engines run cool.......so I’m thinking, what?......they run cool, all the way back to 2005????.......hum. Surely, in 15 years, Honda has had time to get their “cool running” engine design changed (being facetious). Sorry for the hi-jack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had the same issue. The sensor is screwed into the bottom center of the radiator. i replaced mine with a autozone one and it didn't work. OEM one is too expensive so I went with aftermarket Mishimoto switch and it works great at half the cost of OEM. Cheap ones are a hit or miss and usually only last a year because they work by reading ohms and tend to not be sensitive enough or are out of the resistance range the the computer is looking for. Plus the Mishimoto one is designed to open at a lower temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts