Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently bought a 2003 CRV and decided to changed the spark plugs and air filter. This is my first crv but nothing out of the ordinary happened during the process. However, after about a minute the "check engine" light came on and it started to run rough. The only thing that was different was adding anti-seize to the threads. So I check on-line and read a couple of articles that this should not cause any problems. One did say not to put any on the last 2-3 threads so I went ahead and pulled the plugs and cleaned out all the anti-seize off. Started it back up and it again ran rough. I then replaced the original plugs and it ran fine for around 3 minutes before it not only ran rough but stalled. The "check engine" light does not stay on.

Is it possible that the anti-seize dripped into the cylinders and has contaminated the plugs. The anti-seize is "sensor safe" but not sure if it's "spark plug friendly."

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Robert

·
Everything in Moderation
8,029 Posts
I'd check the spark plug wires, could have damaged one.

The K24 engine does not have SP wires. They are coil-over-plug. (One coil, each sparkplug)

Assuming you haven't done something silly like not seating the coil fully onto the plug, are you sure the plugs are IRIDIUM as OE (with teensey-tiny center electrode), and that the gaps are proper? (Look on the sticker on the hood (bonnet).

Inspect the coils again, carefully, look for signs of arcing tracking down the sides. Clean the center hole with a swab soaked in alcohol. Make sure all the alcohol has dried, then coat the bottom rubber seal with di-electric grease (just a coating, not too much). Be sure the coil is fully seated and that the ground area (under the bolt) is clean and conductive on all cylinders.

+++++++++++++

Of course, it would have been beneficial if we had a CEL code. Often this would indicate which cylinder was causing the mis-fire. Then, you could move the coil-pack position and see if the CEL cylinder moves along with it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Check the connections that plug into the top of the coil - if not fully seated can cause a rough idle - I know as it happened to me!

·
Everything in Moderation
8,029 Posts
Check the connections that plug into the top of the coil - if not fully seated can cause a rough idle - I know as it happened to me!
Just a thought....It's possible that an aftermarket plug other than the OE NGKs are a little shorter and the coil-packs are fully seated, but still not making proper contact with the top of the plug. Worth comparing if you held onto the old spark plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts