Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and firstly thank you for adding me to your forum. I am 50 years old, retired, live in Gloucester in the UK and today took collection of a 2003 Honda CRV 2.0 SE Executive... I am very happy with the vehicle but my problem is the sat nav. I am getting a continual 'disc error' type message which I understand is probably because the DVD Laser lens head is dirty. The thing is I don't really need the sat nav anyway but what is really annoying me is I cant get rid of the error message off the screen and it wont allow me to access any menus or other features.

Is there some way I can switch off the error message?

Thanks very much.

Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I get the same message on mine from time to time, Only ting I have found is to remove and replace the disc usually clears it.
I don't think the message can be turned off, and I was told when I bought mine a year ago that the units are prone to faults and that most people replace the head unit with a double unit, thus doing away with the sat nav.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As far as I know, there isn't any way to get past this. I seem to remember that you can still use the radio with no disc present, but you can't access the audio settings and some other screens.

You realistically have two options - fix the laser or disc issue, or replace the stereo. It's a standard double DIN unit and very easy to remove and refit. You should be able to get something second hand for £20 or so. You'll also need a lead to convert from Honda's plug to a standard ISO one from Halfords or similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I changed the disc in my 2004 CRV the last version they made that works with the pre-2005 models (from 2011), and I quite like it. It's quicker to respond than the 2003 version, and the database is only 3 years out of date which I can live with. OK, it is a little fiddly to set destinations using the joystick interface, but once you've saved a few favourites it's not bad to select the one you want before you set off.

Yes, there are better satnav units available, but this one's already in the car and doesn't actually require a GPS signal all the time (it uses a built in compass and takes a signal from the car's speed sensor so can use dead reckoning). Very handy if you often drive in forests, cities with tall buildings, or in deep valleys. Also as it mutes the radio/CD and uses the speakers it's always clear to hear the directions. Obviously you can configure newer standalone satnav units and stereos to achieve the same end or fit a different double DIN stereo with satnav, but that all costs money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies; I have tried the lens cleaner disc and fluid but it hasn't helped unfortunately. As it stands I don't need the sat nav (we don't go so far from our usual routes) so in due course I will either try to dismantle the unit and physically clean the lens, or replace the entire unit with a new radio / CD player only, or of course, just live with the error message. Thanks again all, very much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts