Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have a 2003 CRV EX. I replaced the brake switch and the fuse for the brake lights. Nothing has worked. Can anyone tell me what I am missing? What it might be and how much it might cost to fix? I understand it could be the bulb but would that effect all 3 brake lights if that was the case?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Do you get power at the fuse? Check for voltage at the terminal. It could also be a ground issue. Was anything done before this happened?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,034 Posts
With a helper, assure that manually pressing the brake pedal switch turns the three lamps on.

There have been reports of bent brackets/mounts on the pedal end from inadvertent kicking.

Remember that in the USA, there are two types of bulbs. The UK-produced Vs (VIN starts with S) have different bulbs than Japan cars (VIN starts with J). A 'perfect storm' would occur when the center lamp was burned out or broken (if no power due to wire breakage on the tailgate), then improper bulbs installed in the main lights (because many reference guides are WRONG). :Darn:

·
Registered
136 Posts
To answer the question about bulbs taking out all 3 lights simultaneously, yes all 3 bulbs can, and sometimes do, burn out simultaneously, especially on something like the brake lights because you can't see them while you're driving, so 1 or 2 may have burned out before you noticed that all 3 were out.

With any sort of lighting failures, I would change the bulbs first, because bulbs are cheap and easy, and 90% of the time it's the bulb that broke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts