Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all. Daughter's 2003 CRV 160K has a CEL. Throwing P0300, P0301 - I'm grumpy codes. She scanned it yesterday, and there is a new code P0122. I've not verified this, but in the interest of full disclosure... so this morning, I swap cars, crank the CRV, pull it up to the garage. It certainly sounds rough, but it went up the driveway just fine.

Pulled the plugs - look fine, maybe a little oil on #2. All of the coil packs have been replaced, but I swap #1 and #3 just to see if the misfire will move. They may be new, but it's an easy test. I also spray some electrical contact cleaner into each of the coil connectors. While the plugs are out, I decide to do a dry compression test. Disconnect fuel injectors, test each cylinder. The compression is not happy - 180, 150, 120 90, but it is what it is. So, with that, I re-install the plugs, install the coil packs, reconnect the fuel injectors.

Dang thing cranks but refuses to start.:confused2:

Rechecked the fuel rails, coil pack connections, etc. Still no joy. What am I missing? What could I have broken?

:cussing:

·
Everything in Moderation
7,913 Posts
When was the last time the valves were adjusted? Might be some burned ones (since the code didn't move with the ignition components).

LOL, "I'm Grumpy" codes...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Maxima where I learned all about coil packs. :)

No idea on the valves, that's soon to happen. I doubt that would explain why the car would just stop running.

Question - may be a new topic. In years gone past, cars had distributors and ignition wires. It was relatively trivial to determine if a cylinder had ignition - just loop a timing light induction pick up over each wire, and you could immediately tell if it was firing. How do you test if a plug is firing when using a coil pack? Just pull the plug/coil pack out and crank it?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,913 Posts
Another issue might be an intermittent/bad cam or crank sensor. If the ECU doesn't sense movement, it won't fire the plugs.

But in my experience you wouldn't get a misfire code from that. You would get the code associated with the sensor.

Were the coils you used OEM? On Fits, aftermarket (cheap) coils don't last long. Just sayin'.

+++++++

BTW the P0122 is a throttle position sensor code...common on the first couple years of Gen2.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The coil packs are oem densos. They've been in the car for a while. I'm just trying to figure out what it won't start any more. I'll worry about the CEL and 300/301 codes later. Going back out to scan for connectors knocked off or something....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not my day...

down to the parts store I go to get an ignition tester - plug it in to the coil pack and ground it.

ig-test.jpg

Today is not my day, tester is fatter than a standard spark plug so doesn't fit. The good news is that I pulled a plug and I definitely have fuel.

:Surrender:

I have other things to do...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It lives!

Daughter and boyfriend came over with the new TPS, pulled the throttle body, replaced sensor and gave the throttle body a thorough cleaning. Re-assembled and car started immediately with no trouble codes. Bad timing on my part.

Just wanted to close the thread out.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,913 Posts
So, to clarify, you had a NO START from a dirty throttle body/TPS?

Glad you got it fixed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts