Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2003 Honda CR-V 2.0i, (enginecode K20A4) its a high milage car (206916 miles/333.000km) but well taken care of with 2 oil/filters-changes a year, but my engine has started to make a pinging (pre-ignition?) noise for almost nothing, but especially under workload, its getting worse all the way. The valves are newly adjusted and camchain/tensioner is fine my mechanic says. I also changed the knock sensor a little while back.
I hear this kind of noise is very bad for the engine. I tried to put in 98-octane gasoline and it helped maybe a little but that kind of gas is superexpensive here in Norway so gotta find a permenent solution. WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THIS NOISE? What can i start the exploring with, a faughlty sensor somewhere maybe? Trying to make it as cheap as possible as it is an old car. Please help me fellow Honda people ?

Best regards
Roger.T
Norway

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Have you checked the inside of the combustion chamber it could be carbon up. Try to use those STP injector cleaner it would also help clean the combustion chamber. Was anything done before this happened? What brand of gas are you using? Shell , Sunoco? try going to another fuel station.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the inside of the combustion chamber it could be carbon up. Try to use those STP injector cleaner it would also help clean the combustion chamber. Was anything done before this happened? What brand of gas are you using? Shell , Sunoco? try going to another fuel station.

Hi and THANX for answering.

I have not checked combustion chambers.
I will immediatly buy the STP injector cleaner and see if it does the trick.
No, nothing special was done, i has just appeared gradually.
I fill gas on whatever is nearest/cheapest atm, usally Texaco or the autostations.
I wouldnt know who has the best quality of gasolin here in Norway, actually you just
kind of count on that all 95 octane would be good 95 octane, hmm maybe i should look into this! Have you notice difference? Where do you fill?

Btw, Would you suggest changing into IMMODIUM sparkplugs?
I heard somewhere they would be good for the CRV engine...maybe they will make no difference...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a product called STP COMPLETE SYSTEM CLEANER/GASOLIN.
They say its the best STP product they have

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
the only other thing i can think of besides the carbon is if it is running lean low fuel pressure but that should be setting a check engine light so probably a bad oxygen sensor reading wrong since these dont have a mass air flow sensor that can happen so de carbon first then oxygen sensor ,a non functioning EGR valve can do it also but should have a check engine light so I would be looking at carbon first then O2 then fuel pressure, I think the 2.0 is the same as 2.4 but not sure in the States we dont even have an option just the 2.4 if you can look at live data while accelerating look at the spark advance it should be retarding back when it pings ,if the EGR isnt working the cylinder temperature will rise causing pre detonation so it can be 3 or 4 different things good luck these off amazon are pretty good for reading live data if you have an android device with bluetooth ,if you do get an oxygen sensor stay away from Bosch brand get NTK or Denso, is that non USA model OBD2 ?https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NSX27A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,069 Posts
I think its worth checking that all the timing marks are correctly aligned. The fuel pump is an interesting thought. Time to test fuel pressure, not just when cold but also when its been running for some time.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
Double check your ignition timing. If the ignition timing is advanced too far, it will cause pre-ignition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx so much to all of you! Now this is Very interesting, i will look into all above asap. First of all, i do have engine light lit for a good while, it can also go away by itself sometimes to come back on later....when testing data just now it says ERROR CODE P0420 - CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK 1.
Does that give any other info than i need to change the catalyser?
I usally just erase that code, as i think that cannot cause any engine trouble??
I will put out photos from test i did today, does it say anything to you guys wich links to what you suspect is the the problem(s)?

Text Font Technology Electronics Electronic device
Text Electronics Technology Font Electronic device
Text Font Technology Electronic device Display device
P

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
ok very good the freeze frame data is telling me that the timing is retarding to 0 so the knock sensor is working,the CRV must have low power also,I really am limited on the info on the 2.0 so i am not sure if everything is the same such as does it have a distributor and mass air flow meter the fuel trim looks good,the p0420 is not related but if you want to get rid of that code put a spacer on the downstream o2 I get them off Ebay,im not sure if it is Illegal in Norway to modify emissions,I dont want to get you in trouble but here as long its not an automobile business shop they don't do anything that I have ever heard of,if you could take a couple of pictures under the hood it might help on wikipedia they have a picture of the 2.0 and it has a mass air flow meter so im confused to what your model is ,its probably not fuel pressure because it should show positive fuel trims so im thinking carbon O2 sensor or EGR at this point,also the map sensor 100kpa looks good if the catalytic converter had a restriction that would be low,with a expensive type OBD2 scanner you can activate the EGR that would be very helpful in diagnosing it because at idle if you activate the EGR 100% it should stall or run very rough to verify the EGR function,on some cars not common on the 2.4 carbon in the EGR ports in the intake manifold can restrict flow but the EGR valve itself is ok so that is a possibility so if you can find a way to activate it at idle would be the next step i would do,and seafoam the intake

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, Cant thank you enough!! Im actually going to my mechanic tomorrow, so im going to tell him/pinpoint what to look for, saves me some cash! Will update info here later what he found/fixed! ???

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
For the code P0420 I would suggest to check for exhaust leaks or leak. If you have an exhaust leak the exhaust will be diluted & the cat won't work properly & the 02 sensor will trigger the P0420. The CRVs in North America is powered by 2.4 litre engine. Most likely you will have the same engine size as the HRV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Ottoman ?? well No leaks in cat. or in system troughout. I think its just age/milage. In Europe we dont have 2.4litre. Only 2.0 16valve DOHC VTEC ENGINES was available here. I envy you some, You got 10 more horsepowers and more torque over in the US! More or less i guess the engines are similar in the components

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
I was just rereading the live data I now think it is definitely the upstream O2 the data is showing 1.275v B1S1 it thinks its rich but its probably not but the fuel trim numbers look ok so thats weird but sometimes an O2 sensor can become lazy or slow response and it looks like thats it,that would be the O2 in front firewall side they are close together on the body of the converter also for a test you can unplug the upstream O2 and the computer will go into a fail safe limp mode and it shouldn't ping but may run a little bad,unless its contaminated gas,let me know ,interesting problem,and may solve the p0420,this is a link for a 2003 CRV with a 2.4 I have no info on your model here in the states might be the same https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=870719&cc=1415719&jsn=417

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
Good info, thanx ? please Listen to this knocking/ticking from my engine. In addition, as said, it has severe pinging noise when driving wich i hate the most

Good info, thanx ? please Listen to this knocking/ticking from my engine. In addition, as said, it has severe pinging noise when driving wich i hate the most

that sounds like the valve lash is off they did get adjusted with a cold engine and didn't confuse mm with thousands I did that once with a K24A1 I adjusted them to thousands with the mm spec so they were loose it sounded like that, I immediately knew and took the cover back off and re adjusted ,I guess the water pump can make a noise like that on these engines but I have never heard that yet,i have seen the belt tensioner rattle but that sound more like valves,you can run the engine for 15 seconds with the belt off to verify,im a little confused so maybe its not ping/spark knock ,but the o2 sensor data is off and spark advance is 0 so maybe 2 problems

1 - 20 of 61 Posts