Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I get cold air on driver side and hot air on passenger side no matter the mode i select(vents, feet, defrost, mix).
i've done the research and checked what i can check but i can't find good info about blend door, here is what i got so far...

Motor under driver side dash that opens and closes the valve under the hood works(same with valve).
air flow is the same for all vents, can switch between all modes fine(defrost, feet, vents, mix).
coolant is clean and not low, plus both inlet and outlet connected to the heater core are the same temp.

i heard about the blend door, heard its a door in the dash that opens and closes to let cold or hot air through vents,
it's can't be anything else, but idk where it is or where a motor would be, maybe it's not opening all the way, just wondering where door is and motor, what i gotta do to fix this issue?.

Edit: I just thought that even if the blend door was not opening or closing all the way, that would still give both sides the same temp....it's giving pure cold on left vents, hot on right vents(after warming up), what is going on?

Note: in cold setting, both sides get cold air, but in hot setting, only passenger side gets hot, driver side is still cold.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I highly recommend you get yourself a Honda factory service manual. I got mine on disc, off eBay, for a very reasonable price, and it has easily paid for itself with over 3,200 pages of in-depth coverage on this and literally every other issue for your car. There are a lot of posts on this here, so your answer is there somewhere. Let us know how this is progressing.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
The Gen2 still used a shutoff valve for the coolant heater matrix. If you turn the knob all the way to COLD the air should be cold on both sides.

If you are looking for a relative location of various components, go to one of the online parts dealers (Bernardi, Hondapartscheap, etc) and check out the diagrams.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! I highly recommend you get yourself a Honda factory service manual. I got mine on disc, off eBay, for a very reasonable price, and it has easily paid for itself with over 3,200 pages of in-depth coverage on this and literally every other issue for your car. There are a lot of posts on this here, so your answer is there somewhere. Let us know how this is progressing.
so what you are saying is if i buy one it will have my exact issue and the fix for it?, and why not just post the fix if that's the case. thanks though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Gen2 still used a shutoff valve for the coolant heater matrix. If you turn the knob all the way to COLD the air should be cold on both sides.

If you are looking for a relative location of various components, go to one of the online parts dealers (Bernardi, Hondapartscheap, etc) and check out the diagrams.
Thanks for the reply, i have found nothing about blend door, i still don't know if that's the issue or not, the valve is turned all the way i still get cold of left hot on right, both sides are cold if i switch to cold though, just no hot air on driver vents.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
both sides are cold if i switch to cold though, just no hot air on driver vents.
OK, def worth checking the blend door/servo.

Have you added any coolant recently? If so, you may have an air pocket in the heater core (which is the highest point in the cooling system).

First, check the radiator fill on a cold engine. Should be right up to the neck. Verify that the overflow reservoir has coolant (sometimes scum coats the inside of the plastic, tricking you).

If you added any coolant, purge air by running the engine at higher revs (hold the automatic in a low gear if necessary). Go above 4000 RPMs a couple times. Next morning check the rad and overflow again.

Post back with results.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Have you added any coolant recently? If so, you may have an air pocket in the heater core (which is the highest point in the cooling system).

First, check the radiator fill on a cold engine. Should be right up to the neck. Verify that the overflow reservoir has coolant (sometimes scum coats the inside of the plastic, tricking you).

If you added any coolant, purge air by running the engine at higher revs (hold the automatic in a low gear if necessary). Go above 4000 RPMs a couple times. Next morning check the rad and overflow again.

Post back with results.
How would that cause hot air on one side of vehicle and not the other??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Post back with results.
No the coolant was added by previous owner(not recent), its full and clean, the overflow has coolant in it too, how do i go about the blend door?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
How would that cause hot air on one side of vehicle and not the other??
Partial heater matrix fill does that, on many cars. Chrysler vans have the same issue when not filled. The Gen4 cars had that issue when engine casting sand restricted flow.

Hey, its an easy way to fix if that is the issue...

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Can't help you with the blend door, never had this issue on our Gen2. Did you physically locate the controls yet? I'd look behind the glove box, but I don't know which servo controls the heat or direction.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
A partially-filled heater core (aka 'matrix') can make one side or the other vary in output temperature. The 'empty' section will not maintain temp as the air blows over it.

Awww, @Theman5 you looked up the heater controls diagram for the OP (post 11). I was trying to teach him (and others) to be able to find this info on his own. 😁

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
A partially-filled heater core (aka 'matrix') can make one side or the other vary in output temperature. The 'empty' section will not maintain temp as the air blows over it.

Awww, @Theman5 you looked up the heater controls diagram for the OP (post 11). I was trying to teach him (and others) to be able to find this info on his own. 😁
Would be the same if core had blockage. Output would be under performing, but ducts should be same temp still I would think. Except as mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts