Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2003 Honda CRV
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

I am the second owner of my 2003 Honda CRV. My mother-in-law was the original owner. FREAKING LOVE MY CAR AND REFUSE TO GET RID OF IT :) It has 264,000 miles and it has always ran very good. Some minor details here and there, but that's the way it goes....

Last week I took my car to my local Honda dealership and they replaced the idle air control valve (after talking to a friend who used to work on Honda's, and has since moved away, he told me that was the likely cause before I ever called Honda). Since getting the car back from the dealership I have noticed two things: my fuel mileage has decreased by a lot and my car is now operating at a higher rpm's (about 2300-2400 rpm while going 60mph on highway).

Can anyone give me suggestions as to what could cause my mpg's to decrease so suddenly? Obviously the rpm's appear to be higher. Did they not install the idle air control valve correctly? I will be calling the Honda dealership (but not holding my breath).

Thanks everyone.

Joe in Indiana 馃弨馃弨馃弨

Registered
Any Check engine light on? How did you determine the mileage was different from before? Was there a mileage log book kept before this to compare mileage? And is the O/D off or on? Also if I recall mine was close to that at 60mph in RPM as well.

Registered
As SR said check the OD select button.
Check you engine temperature gauge, if its a bit lower than usual the tcu will not allow the transmission to autolock and keep the rpms a bit higher at cruising speed(same as overdrive gear) but it relies on the engines temp to work.

If that's the case you need a new water thermostat.

Had an accord with similar problem, when I looked at the temp gauge it was so low I could swear it was sinking deeper than when the car was off. It was in the 20s that day and the thermostat failed open, the heater failed to heat as well. Mpgs were bad as it gets. And rpms were higher at highway speeds while cruising.

Gl

Registered
2003 Honda CRV
Discussion Starter #4
A). O/D is always on when the car starts up - for it to be off, you must turn it off.
B). The check engine light was on, but since they replaced the idle air control valve it has been off. No additional lights are on at the moment.
C). I know mileage was different that before (idle air control valve was changed) from driving experience. I make the same routes over and over (when I first noticed the mpg's were poor was when I made a two-hour drive to my hometown - all highway - no stop stop-and-go traffic).

Update:
A). Honda is looking at my car this morning (08-Apr). I am expecting they won't find anything wrong with it.

I just really love my car and I am not ready to give it up yet (and probably never will) :):p

Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
Makes me want to know what the issue was before the IAC was changed. Any codes?

Typically cleaning the IAC is the first step. If that fails, replacement is called for.

I found this old thread with an 04 revving at [email protected] RPM's at 60 mph so you seem in line with normal there. That said when was the transmission fluid and filter last changed? 2003 cr-v transmission slip

Check the coolant level. Add fluid as needed.

Registered
2003 Honda CRV
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rocky!

There were no codes before the IAC was changed. I will look through my records to see when the transmission fluid and filter were last changed.

It doesn't feel like my car is "slipping" when gears are changing.

Registered
If you didn't have a code before replacing it why change it in the 1st place?
. Your problem was not the iacv, otherwise the ecu would throw a code.
If the problem is mechanical then there would be no codes at all, chances are the throttle body was dirty at the time or even the iacv was dirty as well.
Assuming you are correct about the rpms being lower at the speeds you suspect then make sure there is no air bubbles inside the cooling system, even if the temp gauge is saying one thing it's not 100% reliable.
I lost an engine to my crx because the temp gauge never got up high, not even when steam was coming out the hood. By then damage was already done to the HG.
Keep us posted
Cheers

Registered
C). I know mileage was different that before (idle air control valve was changed) from driving experience. I make the same routes over and over (when I first noticed the mpg's were poor was when I made a two-hour drive to my hometown - all highway - no stop stop-and-go traffic).
Just saying here but saying "I know mileage was Different" is alot different from the recorded mileage on the receipts to calculate each fill up to see what the mpg was. We humans tend to over/under estimate numbers til we recorded and look back to see what we "thought" was to the actual miles per gallons calculate out to be. That's how I do my checks to see if the mileage from fill up to fill up is consistent and if anything changes that's when it indicates something isn't as before.

Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
I think you need to put some miles on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts