Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have had a 2003 LX 4WD for two years now and since the time of purchase the car has had an extreme rumble and shake in the cabin of the vehicle when in drive or reverse and brakes are applies. stoplights are awful. I first suspected the IACV and map sensor, so I changed it to no avail. I then took it to a mechanic who said it was the motor mounts. I have replaced three of the four (all but the front motor mount) and I can not reach the fourth one so I am considering having the mechanic change it. so far there has been no change in the amount of vibration after the three of them have been changed. I am very frustrated as I have spent many hours trying to fix this issue. can one broken motor mount really make that much of a difference?

The shaking and rumbling is so severe it will knock my phone and a drink off of the center console.

strangely though the car runs like a champion, there have been no other issues with the vehicle and it is very reliable on my long drives.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
644 Posts
- Is the CRV idling rough?

- What is the condition of the bearing in the middle of propeller shaft?

- If engine mounts are bad it can be checked (to some extent) while in park and hood open. Does the engine tip/tilt/rock excessively when starting?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will inspect the bearing tommorrow but as for the motor mounts, originally the engine would rock and move a few inches. After replacing three of the four it does not move hardly at all. After driving the vehicle a bit more I will admit that the roughness has improved by about 60% after the three mounts have been changed .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as for the idle, it is not rough. When the vehicle is in neutral there is only a little shaking and the idle is at the manual specification .

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sounds good so far. While looking at the propeller, I would also suggest checking the exhaust piping for loose/broken brackets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but other than the difficulty in accessing the fourth motor mount, why would you not replace all four at one time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
From all of your indications, it sounds like you have an engine condition causing it to shake and the front remaining engine mount is magnifying the vibration if replacing the other three improved the situation by 60%. I would try to find out what is causing the vibration first, if it is doing it sitting still. (You indicated it shakes in drive or reverse with the brakes applied) When was the last time the engine had a tune-up? Hook up a vacuum guage, if the needle bounces, you have a vacuum leak to find and fix. If the needle is steady, I would look into the ignition system to eliminate one of the cylinders misfiring or skipping. Good luck and keep us posted. SBR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apologize for extremely rude and late response. Graduated from Uni.

U Joint Replacement done by mechanic solved 30% of problem. Motor Mount replacement did nothing and it was a pain.

Paid for a complete tune-up and fluid flush of all liquids, had power steering system, AC system, and several other components replaced due to a catastrophic failure.

Shake still remains, but is very minor and I have decided to just live with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced the four engine mounts on my 2002 CRV with 141,000 miles. The rear mount was really toasted. Most of the vibration disappeared after replacing the side and rear mounts. I could not tell the condition of the front mount until I removed it. It was also toast. Replaced it and idle is now a lot smoother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts